This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Summer has ended, and if you are anything like me you already miss travelling and the carefree adventures that took you to all of those exciting, unknown places. However there is no need to worry – just because term has started, it doesn’t mean that your exploring has to end. Books are a perfect way to satisfy your wanderlust and travel the world, without even having to leave your room (or break your budget).

Here are 9 books that HCX girls love, that will transport you from America, to Greece, to Tibet, and through Middle-earth, without even having to leave the Forum…

1. Let’s Get Lost, by Adi Alsaid

Alsaid’s debut novel perfectly captures the whirlwind fun of road trips. In this heart warming tale a mysterious girl called Leila changes the lives of 4 strangers as she crosses America trying to change her own.

2.Wild, by Cheryl Strayed

An incredible true story about how one young women with nothing left to lose, decided to hike the entire Pacific Crest Trail in a desperate attempt to regain control of her life. In short, it is a story of determination, humour and healing. Like ‘Eat, Pray, Love’, but grittier.

3. The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkein

A timeless classic which tells of arguably one of the greatest adventures of all time. Bilbo’s story will instantly make you want to pack your bags, grab your friends and start exploring.

4. Travels with Charley, by John Steinbeck

A classic true story of Steinbeck’s journey to rediscover the American Identity. Steinbeck takes you on a wonderful exploration of America, filled with moments that make you laugh, think, and wonder how he could so perfectly capture what you’ve always been thinking.

5. A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson

With his typical wry humour and wit, Bryson recounts his attempt to hike the Appalachian trail. Light-hearted and educational, the gem of the story is Bryson’s friend Katz, a larger-than-life-character who joins him on the trail and turns what might be a normal hike into a comical escapade.

6. Seven Years in Tibet, by Heinrich Harrer

In this astounding memoir, Harrer tells the story of how he went from being a mountain climber, to a fugitive in WWII, to the tutor and confidant of the Dalai Lama in Tibet. Combining adventure, history, and culture, Harrer’s life will leave you awestruck and intrigued. Bonus: After you finish the book, you can watch the gorgeous Brad Pitt play Harrer in the film adaptation.

7. The Lost Girls, by Jen Baggett, Holly Corbett and Amanda Pressner

The true story of how 3 friends, unsatisfied with their stable Manhattan lives, decide to leave everything behind and spend a year journeying around the world in a search of inspiration. Their trip took them 60,000 miles across 4 continents and about a dozen countries, through everything from heartbreak to obscure illnesses. Their story is really about sisterhood, and will give you a serious boost of girl power.

8. The Island, by Victoria Hislop

Hislop tells a stunning tale of adventure and rediscovery as a woman returns to the Greek island of Crete, hoping to learn of her family’s past. She succeeds, only to find that the truth is more fantastic than she ever could have imagined. Filled with mystery and wonder, ‘The Island’ will have you dreaming of still waters and rocky beaches.

9. On the Road, by Jack Kerouac

Arguably the classic road trip novel, in ‘On the Road’ Kerouac chronicles the years of his youth spent roaming America in search of meaning and misadventure. Filled with unforgettable characters, Kerouac writes of the uncertainty and longing for freedom that made the Beat movement. His fiery, passionate writing has inspired generations, and is sure to inspire you too.

Photo Credits www.pinterest.com 

Currently studying English Literature. I was born in New York, but I call England home. Before starting at the University of Exeter I took a gap year. I spent 5 months road tripping and blogging my way across the USA, seeing 37 states in just over 16,000 miles. Needless to say, I love to travel. I am also an avid bookworm, a writer, a yogi, and a (lazy) hiker, among other things. I have a soft spot for bees, sci-fi, and red velvet cupcakes.