8 Ways to Keep Calm and Carry On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With the most notoriously dreary month of the year upon us, and the work load beginning to form an ominous pile, it’s important to remember to put things in perspective.  Test out these eight simple techniques to calm your mind and recharge your body and you’ll be extra prepared for Mental Health week (24th-28st Feb) sponsored by the Mind Your Head society!

1. Meditate

Deceivingly difficult, the art of meditation is to literally empty your mind of all thoughts. By doing so your brain filters less information, proven by a decrease in beta waves of people who meditate. This results in better focus, better memory, and less anxiety post meditation. Even just two minutes a day can give amazing results! Visit here for helpful meditation instructions: http://www.how-to-meditate.org/ or pop in on the Exeter Uni meditation society.

2. Yoga

A practice over 2,000 years old, yoga has increasingly been used as a prescription for anxiety and as therapy in hospitals. It has numerous benefits and can help cure anything from a sore back to rheumatoid arthritis to intestinal problems.  By going through a few A and B sun salutations you access every part of the body. It’s essential to match breath with the movement, as this connection is what truly calms the mind.

3. Run

Going for a short run, even if you don’t consider yourself a “runner” is a fabulous way to quickly empty your mind, as well as boost your metabolism, recharge your energy levels, and release endorphins! The repetitive rhythm of running can also lull your mind into a meditative state.

[pagebreak]

4. Mangoes

Studies have shown that consuming mangoes can alter your blood chemistry and create a sense of calm. Smoothie, chopped, or cooked, eat some mangoes!

5. Shower

Need a break from work? Instead of turning to the chips and sweets, pop in for a quick (hot) shower. The steam will calm you, and the hot jet sprays literally relax your muscles. Add in some lavender or eucalyptus scented soap. With their naturally relaxing properties, they’re great as aromatherapy.

6. Pranyama

An ancient yogic technique, pranayama is the art of breathing. By breathing through alternate nostrils and with alternating power, studies have shown that people are able to slow their heart rates, reduce cortisol levels, reduce hypertension, and reduce anxiety levels among many benefits. It offers immediate relief in soothing the mind and that common “butterfly” feeling in the stomach. Check this out for many easy pranayama techniques, including the easy and popular ujjayi and anulom-vilom. http://completewellbeing.com/article/breath-control/

7. Hoku

By using the thumb and index finger of one hand to squeeze the fleshy part between the thumb and index finger of the other hand (called the “hoku” in Chinese), you can immediately relieve tension in the upper body by 39%. Try this for a quick way to relax, as well as other acupressure points.

8. Have fun!

Lastly, don’t get too hung up on your work and forget your friends and social life! Cortisol levels and stress levels are naturally lowered through contact with other humans, physically and emotionally. It can be just as beneficial as an all-nighter to put away your work and decide to forget about it for a night. 

Photo Credits: www.pinterest.com