8 Top Travel Destinations if You Won the Lottery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Now, whilst winning the lottery isn’t likely to happen to us anytime soon, a girl can dream right?! And what do most people say they’d do if they won the lottery? Travel, of course! Here at HCX we have rounded up the best resorts and travel locations that you could hypothetically splurge your cash on. Let’s get dreaming! 

Marangga Villa, Nihiwatu Resort

Location: Sumba Island, Indonesia, Southeast Asia

Description: Nihiwatu is a world class beach resort that is every girl’s dream (remember Indonesia in Eat, Pray, Love?). Perfect for surfing, diving and hiking, the resort is not only luxurious but ideal for adventure junkies! Marangga is our favourite villa in Nihi’s collection because of its extraordinary outdoor bed, where you can sleep under the stars with tranquil views of the turquoise Indian Ocean… Perfect for a romantic escape!

Luxurious Tree House in the Blue Mountains

Location: Bilpin, Australia

Description: Every kid had the childhood dream of having the coolest tree house ever in their back garden, don’t lie to me now… This stunning piece of architecture is set within 600 acres of private wilderness in Australia’s Blue Mountains, offering unbeatable views and a one-of-a-kind experience. Another romantic retreat, this tree house also features a fireplace and a huge tub to sit back and relax in.

Necker Island

Location: British Virgin Islands

Description: What is more luxurious than Richard Branson’s own private island? This idyllic island paradise will set you back a mighty £53,000 per night for up to 34 guests. With two infinity pools, a huge hot tub, two tennis courts, a disco DJ and a dedicated team of 100 staff, it’s safe to say you will be spoiling yourself rotten over here.

Juvet Landscape Hotel

Location: Valdall, Norway

Description: As the first landscape hotel in Europe, this set of modern design apartments each offer a unique perspective on the awe-inspiring landscape of rural Norway. Juvet is a unique natural experience, with a separate hidden spa area; one reviewer remarked that “I’m entirely too modest to walk around naked, even when I’m alone. But the first thing I wanted to do after closing the door of my cabin at the Juvet Landscape Hotel was shed anything that separated me from nature”. Yep, definitely an experience!

Atlantis, The Palm Hotel

Location: Dubai, United Arab Erimates

Description: Most people will recognise the famous Atlantis The Palm Hotel or at least its one-of-a-kind water park, No. 1 throughout the Middle East and Europe. With a perfect location atop of Palm Island, this huge entertainment resort, themed on the myth of Atlantis, is definitely somewhere to put on your bucket list, girls!

Singita Boulders Lodge

Location: South Africa

Description: Another luxurious holiday destination that brings you closer to nature, Singita Boulders Lodge is set within the privately owned Sabi Sand reserve in South Africa. Whether you spend your time here relaxing or exploring one of the area’s many national parks, you’re bound to get the authentic African bush experience.

Keemala Villas

Location: Phuket, Thailand

Description: Set within a tropical evergreen rainforest in Kamala on Phuket Island, Keemala offers luxury villas and a magical experience. Thailand has been on many people’s bucket lists for a long time, and this wonderland-of-a-resort brings nothing but the authentic Thai experience to the table. Nestled far away from crowds and overbearing tourism, Keemala is your typical “finding yourself” gap yah experience, but with that extra jackpot luxury.

Aldourie Castle

Location: Scotland, United Kingdom

Description: Always fancied being a Lady of the Manor? For £25,000 for a seven night stay, you HCX girls can become royalty in Scotland’s Aldourie Castle, located on the shores of Loch Ness. With 15 bedrooms and staff on hand, you’ll be catered to your every whim… which doesn’t sound too bad at all, does it?

Lucy is a first year English Literature student at the University of Exeter. Passionate about all things travel, most of her spare time is spent saving for that next adventure or dancing her pants off (not literally) at an indie rock gig. Fuelling her love for journalism, photography, design, and most importantly travel, you can find her blogging at www.FarawayLucy.com.