7 Reasons Why You Should Travel at University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

A new year at university begins. For some, it is all about dissertations, job applications and a crippling fear of the ‘real world’. While for others, it is the start of the most exciting years of their lives. Regardless of what year you are in, there is nothing more rewarding than getting out there and seeing the world. So, if you’re not already convinced, here are the top reasons for why your university years are the ideal time to travel…

Unique opportunities

Loads of societies offer exciting trips abroad; Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam, ski trips, music tours and more. They offer the opportunity to see a new place, with all of your friends, often at a fantastic discount. But what about making the most of some of the more unique opportunities at university? Take part in the annual RAG Jailbreak competition where you can be sponsored to travel as far as you can without spending any money; climb Kilimanjaro in Tanzania or Trek to Machu Picchu in Peru; intern in India; teach English in China; study abroad for a summer, a term, or even a whole year!

Loads of holiday

At what other time in your life will you have almost half the year off? More or less four months for summer, a month for Easter and almost a month for Christmas. Finding the time is often one of the biggest barriers to travelling so you’d be crazy not to make the most of it.

Loads of friends

Not only do you have all this free time, so do all of your friends! You can plan a trip with your sports team, housemates or friends from your society or course without worrying that one of you won’t be able to get the time off work. If your friends don’t share your desire to explore, you can always join an internationally-focussed society and make new friends to travel with.

No responsibility

You’re not married, you have no children or pets, no full-time job, you don’t own a house: you are free! Enjoy it.

You are young and easy going

Night buses, hostels, couch-surfing, camping and hitchhiking. For some reason, as people get older they tend to get more reluctant about these less-than-luxury experiences. To me, they sound fantastic. When you are not too fussy it is possible to travel on the smallest of budgets and it’s often the most unusual options that create the best stories.

Employers love it

Nothing says project management skills like travelling around a country (or multiple countries) in which you don’t speak the language, using multiple transport networks, without spending a fortune and living to tell the tale! Communication skills? Sharing a hostel room with 20 people from different countries should help. It will improve your confidence immeasurably. There are so many reasons that employers love applicants with travel experience. Bonus points if you study, learn a language, volunteer or complete an internship along the way.

And finally… Why not?!