element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Movie Inspired Christmas Ball Dresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It‘s coming round to that festive time of year again when all societies are planning their Christmas socials. So, with term soon coming to an end it’s time to dress to impress one last time before the year is out. The big question is what to wear to a formal dinner and dance? With a chill in the air, long elegant dresses are definitely the way forward. So what better place to look for inspiration than at some of the most beautiful dresses in Hollywood?

Daisy Buchanan (The Great Gatsby)

Add some sparkle and light up the room with Daisy’s fabulous 1920’s style flapper dress. This is a true work of art with the detailed beaded embroidery and satin bow. What occasion would be more perfect to show this sparkling little number off?

Cecilia Tallis (Atonement)

For most girls this dress is all too familiar. Who hasn’t at some point wanted ‘the green dress from Atonement’? The beautifully stylish silk green backless dress is the epitome of elegance. The simplistic shoestring straps, waist high belt and sweet tie front are all the dress needs. The radiant green is also perfect for Christmas.

Marisa Ventura (Made in Manhattan)

This is another effortlessly elegant number. The ruched chiffon enhances the waist line while the strapless empire line flatters most body shapes. The twisted detail at the bodice adds a pretty detail while gracefully adding shape to the skirt. The peachy pink is also a nice angelic colour for Christmas.

[pagebreak] 

Andie Anderson (How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days)

Be as bright as Christmas lights with this fabulous yellow number. The sleek, effortlessly gorgeous silk dress is finished with a satin belt and thick straps, simple yet very effective.

Marisa Coulter (The Golden Compass)

This is a fabulous mix of textures. Sheer golden silk and embriodered fine tulle, with illusive golden sparkles covering the neck and sleeves.

Fleur Delacour (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)

Add some magic to your dress with this famous number from the Yule Ball. The appliqué of silver ivy leaves adds ample detail while blending in beautifully with the pleated chiffon.

Andy Sachs (A Devil Wears Prada)

This black dress will never disappoint. The lace sleeves and satin top are a sweet ingénue twist to the classic black dress yet adding a wintery feel.

Photo Credits: Weheartit.com, Vivomasks.com, Breakinglight11.livejournal.com, Fashbrickroad.blogspot.co.uk, 1.bp.blogspot.com, Sohollywoodchic.blogspot.co.uk, Harrypotter.wikia.com, Theempressofdress.com

Charlotte is a third year Maths and English student who is President for HCX. She loves reading about the history of major designers and browsing through their latest collections and enjoys running, ice skating and partying! She is also interested in making and designing clothes as well as buying them and has taken several courses in pattern design for Womenswear. A few years ago she ran her own small business making and selling shorts and lounge pants which she hopes to restart soon.  She loves visiting new places and would love to travel to France to improve her French and learn more about the culture and fashion. She thoroughly enjoyed being Deputy Editor for the Fashion and Beauty team in her second year so is very excited to be part of the inspirational HCX team for a third year.