alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Feel Body Confident on Holiday (Without Losing Weight)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

In an age of airbrushing, social media and protein shakes, it isn’t always easy to feel body confident. Unfortunately, this means that all too often the excitement of booking a holiday can be overshadowed by the fear of not having a “summer body.” But in reality, all it takes to be “beach body ready” is to get your body on the beach! You don’t need crazy juice detoxes and intense workout regimes – instead you just need to re-evaluate how you feel about yourself. As summer is approaching, here are some confidence-boosting tips to help you embrace your bikini figure at the beach this year and flaunt your banging bod!

1. Stop Comparing Yourself to Others

Ever been poolside, pretending to read Bridget Jones, while secretly wishing you had legs like the woman on the lounger next to you? Yep, we’ve all been there. But in reality she’s probably thinking the same thing and worrying about her slightly wobbly thighs. The solution? Stop comparing! While you’re at it, stop judging yourself against celebrities as well. You’re probably never going to look like Kendall Jenner, and that’s totally ok. Most of the time, real life Kendall Jenner doesn’t look like Instagram Kendall Jenner either. Instead of scrutinising other people and putting yourself down, focus on the things you love about how you look and use this as a starting point to embrace your whole body!

2. Buy a Bikini You Love

Or a swimming costume. Or a boiler suit, if that’s more your cup of tea. Whatever you prefer, invest in something you love and that makes you feel good about yourself. Drag your friends to the shops before your holiday and get them to help you choose outfits you feel fab in. Not only is it great procrastination, your gal pals are sure to give you a confidence boost.

3. Treat Yourself

While you’re at it, don’t just limit yourself to clothing! We all have little things that make us feel great about ourselves. Whether that’s a certain perfume, expensive shower gel or some new shoes, you deserve a treat – you are on holiday after all!

4. Distract Yourself

We often tend to obsess about our bodies and it can take over. But sometimes if you’re feeling insecure, the best thing to do is distract yourself with something a bit more fun. After all, when jet skiing in the Mediterranean, how you look is the last thing on your mind!

5. Get Inspired

We’re extremely lucky to live in a time of strong, empowered females who can serve as an example to us all. Women such as Amy Poehler, Demi Lovato, and Emma Stone broadcast body positivity. If you’re struggling with an “I am awesome” attitude, look to these women as your inspiration and start channelling your inner goddess!

I am a fourth year student reading for a degree in English with History and Middle Eastern Studies. When I'm not busy writing essays, I love fleeing campus and exploring anywhere and everywhere. My favourite place in the world (other than Exeter, of course) is Iquitos in South America.