5 Top Destinations for Mother’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Mother’s Day is fast-approaching and what better way to celebrate your mums than some one-on-one mother-daughter bonding? Spend the day together, take some time over a long lunch or cook her a meal. Just because she deserves it. However, the HCX travel section is here to give you some ideas to make her feel that bit more appreciated by offering some of the best destinations to travel to with your mum. So here it is, starting with the closest and working our way further a field…

1) Take a dip in Bath. Follow in the footsteps of some of the classic characters in your favourite Jane Austen novels by following the walking audio tour, not forgetting to visit the Jane Austen Centre, before settling down in one of Bath’s numerous cosy tearooms or the Pump Rooms. Treat your mum to some well-deserved pampering by unwinding in the thermal baths after a day spent shopping and exploring the charming city. Numerous events offer something for everyone including Bath Literature Festival (28th Feb-9th March) and Comedy Festival (28th March- 6th April). Or if you’re the active type, I’m sure you’ve already signed up for the Bath Half Marathon in March.

2) Wonder around The Tate in St Ives. If you’re both wanting to swap the big cities and department stores for pub lunches and fresh sea air, then there’s nothing better than booking into a Cornish cottage for a night or two. St Ives offers meandering alleyways full of delicious one-off restaurants and hidden little art galleries all in a picturesque waterfront setting. The two of you can catch up over long walks and Cornish ice-cream… and I challenge you to take your first swim in the sea for 2014!

3) Chat over afternoon tea at the Ritz. From £45 you can enjoy the delights of quintessential English Afternoon tea in the Palm Court of the Ritz; a chance to give back to your mum after years of school-runs, cake sales and that great Sunday roast when you get back from Uni! The Ritz offers afternoon tea, which includes an assortment of six different types of sandwich as well as tea pastries, little cakes and, of course, their famous tea and scones served with Cornish clotted cream and jam! (I’m sure their menu articulates it in fancier ways, but either way it’s still great!) And if your budget allows, the Ritz has hotels across the world including Paris (the Hemingway Bar is a must), Tokyo and Vegas!

[pagebreak]

4) Cheers to your Mum on a riverboat in Budapest. With the story-book scenery that lines the Danube, you’ll be reminiscing and laughing about your day spent on the open bus tours, getting lost down side streets or racing along on your Segways! The Opera House showcases ballet performances too if you’re looking for a chance to dress up and a girly night out.

5) Walk the Brooklyn Bridge with your Mum at night. Home to Fifth Avenue, Macy’s and Bloomingdales, the metropolis of New York City is the ultimate in mother-daughter shopping! A Tiffany’s visit is a must a long with walks (or horse and carriage rides!) in Central Park and a chance to stand on the roof of the Rockerfeller Centre if it’s a clear day! No trip to Broadway is complete without a burger at Ellen’s Stardust Diner, which will have you both singing along and tapping your toes to the best songs throughout the history of musicals.

If anyone deserves that quality time it’s your mum. So look after her this Mother’s Day and make sure it’s filled with pampering, laughter and memories; those photos you’ll treasure, hang on your wall and one day show to your daughter (so she spoils you in just the same way)!

Photo Credits: Pinterest

Carrie Ashton is a third year Geography student and Deputy Travel Editor for HCX. Having been on a committee each year so far (organising the Exeter Halls Summer Ball and Treasurer for GeogSoc), she is keen to be part of something new - starting the travel section of Her Campus being the ideal opportunity! Having grown up in South Africa and travelled fairly extensively since and in her Gap Year, Carrie has a keen interest in travel. Although she loves lying in the sun with a good book, it is the more adventurous trips that she enjoys - including scuba diving, sailing and reaching the summit of Kilimanjaro last year in aid of Practical Action.