5 Prints You Should Be Wearing in 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Whatever the time of year, you can always be sure that prints will be a big feature of many Designers’ collections, which will subsequently influence High Street shops. There always seems to be prints which repeat season after season as they have become wardrobe staples. Prints can act as a bold addition to an otherwise understated outfit. However, though many prints are vibrant and expressive, some prints such as floral are more delicate. Here at Her Campus Exeter, we give you the lowdown on the hottest prints you should be wearing this year.

•  Animal Prints

Leopard print can undoubtedly be viewed as one of the most successful and frequently seen prints. Whether it’s the traditional brown and black tones or whether it is more of a snow leopard, this print is definitely always popular with designers. Many designers, including Dolce & Gabbana, have gone so far as to say that leopard print is essentially the ‘new black‘ as it is gradually becoming a timeless fashion statement. Equally, snakeskin and other animal prints, such as zebra print, also make a bold statement. These ‘tribal’ prints can be seen all year round as they bring some colour to the winter months and then perfectly complement the summer season.

• Checks

Checks are also another classic print. Whether it’s  plaid, tartan, or the more recent ‘laundry bag check’ seen at shows such as Céline, checks can always be found. Variations of this, such as tweed influenced prints, are often chosen by designers for the winter months. Lumberjack shirts are the most effortless but yet stylish way to wear this check print to achieve a casual outfit.

[pagebreak]

• Florals

Floral prints, traditionally only seen in the Spring/Summer season on pretty dresses, are now seen all year round as prints have been developed to be more bold. There are many variations of floral print such as delicate vintage and romantic inspired prints as we see the influence of the well-known Liberty prints. Collaborations, such as Nike and Liberty, are using these prints in an original way and therefore marketing them to a new generation.

• Stripes and Spots

These are the original prints which first started to influence fashion, giving us the distinctive Breton stripe  and fun Polka dot print. Stripes and spots can be seen on the High Street as we start to look forward to the Spring/Summer season. Stripes and spots are also interesting prints as you need two contrasting tones or colours to make the print work. Classic monochrome stripes or spots can easily be paired with brighter clothes to create a confident outfit. 

• Abstract and Graphics

Currently, there are Designers who are pushing the boundaries of prints, making them bolder, brighter and generally more eye catching. Mary Katrantzou can be viewed as the pioneer for intricate but yet bold and attention grabbing prints. The images Katrantzou creates are confident and carefully thought out to create something original and artistic.

Photo Credits; weheartit.com, pinterest.com