5 Period TV Shows That Just Keep On Giving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s finally Autumn, and that can only mean one thing… Prime Netflix and TV Season. As the nights grow colder and the evenings darker, it can be difficult to fathom any other way to spend your days, apart from in front of a great box series! If you are anything like us, at HCX, we want to be completely transported when we watch a series. All you want is to run away from those looming deadlines, and wondering if Jim from last night gave you this cold or if you’re actually going to die. What better way to do this, than with a swirling, glamorous, sassy and seductive period drama? Your Autumn evenings just got infinitely better!

1. The One for the Historically Challenged

Reign, The CW

The smouldering, daring and treacherous journey of Mary, Queen of Scots to staking her claim to the throne of Tudor England. The CW creates a fantasy world of French courts, ladies in waiting, battle grounds, death, destruction and passion, with multiple gorgeous gowns and very little historical fact involved… Having said that, this drama is perfect for those times where you want to see a glittering power struggle between two of the sassiest queens to ever live, perfect Autumn life inspo!

2. The One with a Smouldering Hottie

Poldark, BBC

I mean, we feel you Poldark… Wednesday TP has us reaching for the alcohol too! Set in the beautiful Cornish countryside, Poldark lets you escape into the 18th century world of miners, landed gentry and Aiden Turner, who tends to rip his shirts off periodically in every episode. (Yes. We know… straight to the top of your watch-list!)

3. The One for the Thrill Seekers

Game of Thrones, HBO

A list of the best period dramas would not be complete without this gem, that everyone, and we mean, EVERYONE, is talking about. Although set in a fantasy world, rather than our own, the use of knights, kingdoms, folklore, battles, dynastic marriages etc., more than makes this a period drama. With so many different storylines to follow; some of the sassiest female characters in any TV show and a fast-paced and thrilling plot – this is Autumn evening TV gold! (Although, if blood isn’t your thing… Possibly not the one for you!)

4. The One for the Sophisticated Socialite

Downton Abbey, ITV

A nation has never been so invested in a TV show, than the UK was in Downton Abbey. Possibly one of the crowning glories of British TV, Downton captured the hearts of millions, portraying life in the early 20th century for the aristocratic Crawley family, their associates, servants and others. Juicy drama; sassy comebacks from the brilliant Maggie Smith; heart rendering romances and glimmering costumes- what’s not to love?

5. The One with the Sassiest Queen 

The Crown, Netflix

The story of our very own Queen Elizabeth II, rising to the throne in all her sassy glory. Although timid at the outset, Elizabeth grows in character till she becomes the confident, sassy ruler that we know today, (Corgis included)! One to watch with your sisters, the relationship between Elizabeth and her sister Margaret is nothing short of perfectly portrayed in this period drama- sisters before misters everyone!

6. The One for the Sexy Señorita

The Tudors, BBC

Possibly the sexiest show on Netflix right now, The Tudors follows the enigmatic and notorious King of England, Henry VIII. Episodes are full of sexual tension, poltical intrigue, plotting, murder and much more. Although many dismiss this show as merely sex, with some historical dialogue, the acting is impressive and the storylines clear. And anyone who doesn’t want to be the gorgeous and charismatic Anne Boleyn (possibly before her sticky end though…) is an absolute liar.

We hope you enjoy all these amazing shows, and that with them, your Autumn will get that much more exciting!

Third year English student and aspiring journalist! My talents include; successfully quoting almost any Friends episode; getting excited about Christmas in October, (every year without fail), and owning one too many Bobbi Brown lipsticks. I mean, is there such a thing as too many?!