jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The Easter holidays are nearly here which can only mean one thing: SPRING BREAK! American traditions aside, there are those of us who are lucky enough to be jetting off around the world before the exam madness. If you’re one of these people, its likely you’ll be heading to some exotic location which will get you an awesome tan but also the dreaded curse of jetlag. Nausea-inducing, sleeping pill-popping jetlag. To minimise the effects of this and get the most out of your holiday, follow these five tips…

1. Get that shut-eye

This one sounds obvious. We all try to sleep on the plane and then nap when we get to our destination, but what a lot of people forget is to have a good night’s sleep before they travel. Pre-holiday excitement and last-minute packing (not to mention that one friend who suggests ‘going out drinking and just staying up until we get on the plane’) can prevent you from getting the shut-eye that will help you in the long run with your jet lag. BUT avoid the sleeping pills if you can – they’ll just make you feel woozy when you wake.

1. JETLAG HACKS

Do some research on what causes jetlag and how to combat it. Or follow this advice: trick your body by altering your sleep schedule before you go. If you’re flying East, go to bed a bit earlier than usual and go to bed later if you’re flying West. Also eat a carb-heavy meal the night before you fly. There are theories about carbs helping you to sleep. Remember to stay hydrated as well, especially at altitude!

1. Set your watch

This one is a psychological trick on yourself. When you board the plane, set your watch to the time of your destination. This will help you get aligned with it. Just DON’T do what my dad did – he set his watch to Mongolian time before he had even got on the plane and needless to say, missed his flight. Try to eat at the time you would in your destination, even if that means roast chicken at 3am.

1. Don’t stop movin’

Keep your circulation going. Jetlag is partly caused by the slowing of your blood flow when you’ve been sitting still in a plane seat for fourteen hours. Most airlines provide details of in-seat exercises you can do. Whenever you can, be wandering around, even if that means looping around the duty-free section of the airport for an hour or two. It’ll help in the long run and will make you feel more awake when you’re supposed to be!

Emma is a sophomore at American University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Political Science and Women's Studies. She loves to write, journal, and blog in her free time. Emma is a Communications Intern at the Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE), a non-profit in DC. She is a social media editor for Her Campus American.