This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s now officially spring (finally!), and whilst we’re sad to be saying goodbye to woolly jumpers and cosy scarves, here at HCX we can’t wait to start dipping our toes into some of the best spring/summer 2017 trends. Here’s a round-up of our favourite fashion items on the high street at the moment to shake up your wardrobe.

Gingham

First up is gingham. This is absolutely all over the high street right now, and we’re seriously digging it. Pretty tops like this one from Zara or this one from New Look are a great way to inject the pattern into your wardrobe without breaking the bank. If you fancy going all out, you can go for a jumpsuit like this ASOS number which would look great layered over a longsleeve top in the current transitional weather, or on its own as a stand-out piece in summer. As something a bit different from the classic monochrome gingham, we like a more colourful take on the trend with something like this checked red dress. It kind of reminds us of the cute school dresses we used to wear in primary school, so, naturally, we’re obsessed.

Ruffles

This eye-catching trend is playful and feminine. Ruffles seem to be giving the classic white shirt a revival, turning a simple item into a statement piece whilst still being easy to style. This one from ASOS is perfect. Sleeves that are frilled, long or flared are a fun addition to simple items such as jumpers and blouses (although not particularly practical – trying to eat without dipping flared sleeves in your spaghetti bolognese is not a task for the faint-hearted…). We also love pretty pleats as shoulder detailing, and this jumper from Topshop comes in loads of colours. 

Embroidery

We can’t get enough of embroidery and its granny-chic vibe. It’s a great way to liven up denim, such as these Mom jeans from Topshop, and luckily the high street can cater for your style whether you want a little touch of embellishment or all-out embroidery for a statement look. Accessories are a great way to experiment with the trend, so try adding an embroidered bag, such as this one, or pair of boots to a simple outfit.

Bees

You may not have noticed it, but bees are having a moment. Recently, we’ve seen this cute print popping up all over the high street. We love how it’s a pattern that’s perfect for spring, but is a bit different to the usual florals. Our favourite picks are these shoes from ASOS and these from Topshop, or this shirt from New Look which is a fun twist on the classic white shirt.

So there you have it – add these items to your spring wardrobe and you’ll be sure to be turning heads by staying one step ahead of the game. Happy shopping, girls!

I'm Sarah, and I'm the current Fashion and Beauty Editor at Her Campus Exeter. I have dreamed of working for a fashion magazine since I was a little girl, and am now in my third year at Exeter studying English. I'm a self-confessed shopaholic and a lover of brunch, chocolate cake and the seaside.