4 Swaps to Make Comfort Food Healthier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With deadlines looming, the threat of dissertations and the stress of house hunting all you want to do is reach for the largest slice of cheesy pizza and curl up in bed. Whilst staying under the duvet and eating cookies may seem like the solution, it’s not. Sure its cold outside and you deserve a treat but simply swapping some of your favourite comfort foods with healthier ingredients will make you feel a lot better. Tucking into a few healthier snacks will help you battle through the work, with a better attention span and surprisingly more energy

1. The Jacket Potato

We’ve all been there when it’s raining outside and all you want to do is stick something quick and easy in the oven for dinner. But stop, why not try a sweet potato instead?

Sweet potatoes can be cooked in the oven for 25 minutes or they are perfect when you score them and bake in the microwave for just 5 minutes. Open up these beautiful sweet and filling carbohydrates and then cover in a microwavable pack of reduced salt and sugar bakes beans for a meal in under five minutes. This is two of your five a day, under 400 calories, very warm, filling, nutritiously dense and full of protein and slow release carbs. Of course you can add some reduced fat cheese on top for a healthier alternative to normal jacket potatoes.

2. Oats

Arguably my favourite comfort food, oats really leave you feeling warm and ready to go in the morning. Simply add 40g of oats and 300ml milk and place in the microwave for two minutes, and add more or less milk to make it your desired consistency. Add chia seeds to thicken it up with added protein and fibre for a powerful comforting warm breakfast. Add mixed berries, nuts, and seeds, peanut or almond butter and enjoy a meal that is as versatile as your imagination. If you need it sweeter, use honey instead of sugar and you can enjoy the yummiest meal or revision snack at any time of day. Or leave some oats in a jar overnight with cold milk, chia seeds and your choice of toppings, it will thicken and absorb overnight to create the perfect overnight oats that are filling, nutritious and instantly delicious!

3. The Burger

Fancy a burger and chips? Got some waiting for you in the freezer for when you get home? Stop! Try switching to veggie burgers. Not only are these cheaper, packed with more nutrients but are usually lower in unhealthy saturated fats. Eat with a wholemeal bun and some chopped tomatoes instead of sugar-loaded tomato ketchup. Simply cut up your sweet potatoes into fries, drizzle with some coconut oil or olive oil and cook on a high heat to make a very healthy, delicious and quick meal that can be cooked in under half an hour.

4. Bolognese

And finally, Bolognese. Who doesn’t love a big bowl of spaghetti Bolognese on a cold winter’s night? Whilst the traditional Bolognese isn’t bad for you, why not try jazzing it up a bit?

Grab a spiralizer or just use a grater and create long thin spaghetti-shaped slices of courgette. Simply add some olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook on a low heat for 20mins on baking paper. These will be tasty, filling, with the same texture and quality as spaghetti but with 200 less calories and amazing nutrients and fibre in every mouthful. If you want to make it even cheaper and healthier trying using falafel balls instead of meatball and a homemade tomato sauce (much less added sugar) for a meal that is full of protein, fibre and nutrients without any guilt. Now that you have got such a healthy meal feel free to add a sprinkle of parmesan on top for the perfect quick winter comfort food.

Geography student who loves travelling, exploring, health, fitness, good food and nutrition and loving life as much as possible!