3 News Stories we bet you’ve missed!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The Heroic Hogwarts Express!

Jon and Helen Cluett, accompanied by their 4 children were left stranded last week when their canoe was swept away by a swollen river. Having been staying in an isolated bothy in Lochaber, rather than face the dreaded long walk back to their vehicle across boggy land and all things horrible, they phoned the emergency services for guidance. As if by magical forces, it was arranged a steam train would come to pick them up. However, this was no ordinary period-drama steam train; this was the exact steam train used in J.K. Rowling’s infamous Harry Potter! The Jacobite is usually used for excursions on the West Highland Railway Line, but this time, it had an extra special journey to rescue some hopeless, forsaken muggles.

Poundland to the Rescue!

The deadline of 15th October is looming, but let’s face it, there are bound to be some old £1s lying around somewhere that we will forget to check before the big day! But do not despair, all is not lost. Going forward, your old shabby coins can still be of some use to you; retail giant Poundland are accepting the old coins until the end of October, having branded itself the “Legal Tender Extender” it’s provides you with the perfect excuse to splurge on many a sweet treat. Their managing director Barry Williams has described his company as “the official home of the pound”, contrary to the Chancellor of the Exchequer’s previous understanding, and thus stated it was a no brainer they would extend the deadline.

The 1st Commercial Flight to St Helena

The remote British island of St Helena saw its first commercial airline service last week and was a success. It was a Virgin flight; an SA Airlink flight from South Africa and ends the island’s reliance on ships, which only sailed once every 3 weeks. The investment in improving air travel to St Helena has been made in the hope it will improve tourism; increasing its profile as a destination and help the island become more self-sufficient. However, not all actors are happy with the investment, British Media have labelled it as “the most useless airport in the world”.Having had £285m of funding from the UK Department for International Development spent on it,the airport’s opening was unfortunately delayed from 2016 due to dangerous wind conditions. Yet now, the airport is open for business, with services between Johannesburg and St Helena being approved and more destinations planned for the future!

I'm Claudia, a third year Politics student at the University of Exeter, who loves all things Her Campus!