25 Things you have to do at Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

1.     Of course, no Exeter Christmas is complete without a novelty Christmas jumper. Primark is a general favourite if you’re looking to find a cheap and appropriately tacky jumper, also £2 from every jumper goes to ‘Make A Wish Foundation’, what’s not to love?

2.     Germanic Christmas Markets have become a trend in England over the last couple of years. There’s one right on our doorstep outside Exeter Cathedral. But if you’re looking to make a day of the markets head over to beautiful Bath where you will find dozens of festive stalls, perfect if you want to find a unique gift.

3.     Gingerbread houses are not only a really fun festive activity to do with family and friends, but also a delicious treat if you have the heart to tear your creation apart!

4.     Nothing is more Christmassy than wrapping up warm and going ice skating. There are a number of fantastic temporary ice rinks in London such as outside Somerset House, The Natural History Museum and Canary Wharf. Or why not try your hand at skating in the stunning setting of Hampton Court Palace?

5.     Everyone loves a good cheesy Christmas Film. So make yourself a hot chocolate with marshmallows, cosy up and put on a classic such as Love Actually, Elf or The Grinch.

6.     London department stores such as Harrods, Harvey Nichols and Selfridges are notorious for their extravagant Christmas displays attempting to lure you into their glittering grottos of overly priced designer jewellery and handbags.

7.     If you’re looking for a less pricey Christmas activity, look no further than the nearest countryside. Going for a winter walk is a lovely break from the sometimes chaotic nature of this season.

8.     Most students will have decorated their student home by mid November, but if you haven’t already, get a small artificial Christmas tree, lots of tinsel and paper snowflakes and let the festivities commence!

9.     Perfect for a mother and daughter Christmas evening out, every year ballet companies from around the world perform The Nutcracker in theatres around the country.

[pagebreak]

10.  Mince Pies are in abundance every Christmas, why not try making your own and impress your friends and family?

11.  Although often incredibly busy at this time of year, Covent Garden is famous for its magnificent Christmas decorations, not forgetting its wonderful choice of shops and eateries.

12.  Going donutting is a fun alternative if you’re dreaming of a white Christmas skiing in the Alps. The ski centre in Aldershot, Hampshire is a favourite for birthday parties and days out during the winter season.

13.  If you have younger siblings go and see their Nativity performance. It will remind you what Christmas is really about and will warm your heart and make you smile!

14.  Send a Christmas card to someone you may not have spoken to in a long time or someone you may have lost contact with such as a family member or a friend who has moved abroad. It could be the start of a renewed relationship.

15.  The ECU Christmas Carol at the Exeter City football stadium is a must for students while at Exeter. The numb fingers and toes are worth it for the festive performances and the overall merry atmosphere.

16.  Throw a Christmas Party! Put up some Christmas decorations, throw on some music, get the mulled wine on the hob and invite your friends round for an evening of festive cheer! (That’s if you can face the clearing up afterwards!)

17.  Cheddar Gorge in Somerset is the home of wintery grottos. Great for a different day out during the holidays and if you’re lucky you might even get to meet Father Christmas himself!

18.  On Christmas Eve most Churches hold a Christingle service at twilight. Go along to one for an atmospheric evening of carols and sermons and if you pretend to be under 15 you may get an orange adorned with a candle and sweets!

19.  Going to see the local pantomime is a tradition for many families. So what will it be this year? Aladdin? Jack and the Beanstalk? Cinderella? HE’S BEHIND YOU!

[pagebreak]

20.  Mulled wine is a party favourite at Christmas. Not only is it delicious, it also warms you up after your walk in the cold. Look up some recipes and try making some of your own using red wine, orange segments and cinnamon sticks.

21.  If you’re not already fed up of the Christmas music that’s been played in the shops since October; put on some Christmas favourites such as Slade, Michael Buble and Mariah Carey to get you in the festive mood.

22.  Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park, London is a Germanic style fair full of market stalls, rides and ice skating.

23.  To wind down during the Christmas holidays, get out your Mum’s Christmas Radio Times and watch some of the classic films and TV shows played at this time of year such as Doctor Who, Home Alone and Miranda.

24.  If you can avoid all of the frantic London shoppers, take a walk down Oxford and Regent Street to look at the famous Christmas lights or go to Trafalgar Square to marvel at the incredible 20 feet tall Christmas tree.

25.  If you’ve managed to reach the end of this 25 Things to do at Christmas list, perhaps think about getting involved with the ‘Operation Christmas Child’ project this year and send a box of small Christmas gifts to a less fortunate child overseas.