15 Movies to Cheer You Up During Deadline Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

When you’re stressed during deadline season, all you want is to sit down and watch a good film. But choosing what to watch can be a stress in itself! So here is a list of my top 15 easy-watch films to relax and forget about uni work…

Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001)

Featuring Renée Zellweger, Hugh Grant and Colin Firth, this classic romantic comedy is an instant feel good film. You’ll be too busy laughing away at 30-something Bridget Jones’s embarrassing life moments to be thinking about any kind of work.

Ten Things I Hate About You (1999)

A throwback to high school times, this film has us all swooning over the young Heath Ledger and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It follows the love lives of two sisters as they navigate dating in their teens, and is the ultimate high-school comedy being both hilarious and heartfelt.

Harry Potter

A massive part of any British uni student’s life was watching Harry, Ron and Hermione grow up. The Harry Potter films are great to fall back on in times of stress. With eight films to choose from, all being an easy-watch you can’t really go wrong.

Johnny English (2003)

Another British classic, of my childhood at least, was Johnny English. Rowan Atkinson is perfect in this comedy which parodies the James Bond secret agent genre, making you cringe, laugh and feel very patriotic all at the same time.

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

The 2017 remake of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast is great for feeling like a kid again. Starring as the new Belle, Emma Watson brings back the magic that we all love so much in Disney films. Added bonus: the soundtrack featuring Celine Dion, Ariana Grande and John Legend is so great you’ll be singing it all day long.

Pretty Woman (1990)

An oldie but goldie, this film that made Julia Roberts’ career is a modern update on the Cinderella storyline. Instead it is the romance of a prostitute and a wealthy businessman, putting the Disney princess idea into the real world. It also makes you feel better about the stripper back-up career that crosses everyone’s mind during deadline season.

The Boat That Rocked (2009)

Though perhaps a relatively unknown film, it is a banger. Based on real life events and a homage to pirate radio mixed with a great cast including Philip Seymour Hoffman, Nick Frost and Bill Nighy this film was destined to be great. It’s extensive soundtrack is another that will get you through long work days. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love this.

The Fundamentals of Caring (2016)

A Netflix original, this is rated five stars by pretty much everyone. People can be put off as it can be serious, tackling issues around disability. But Paul Rudd, Craig Roberts and Selena Gomez make it a light-hearted film leaving you feeling great about life.

Friends (series)

Though a TV series and not a film, Friends is the ultimate classic. Its arrival on Netflix long awaited, and the episodes only lasting 20 minutes, it’s the perfect thing to casually watch as you unwind. Following the lives of six 20-something year olds in Manhattan, the jokes are  still relatable, and it makes you feel totally ‘fine’ about life (just like Ross).

A cracking film, 10/10. Based on real events, it tells the tale of the 1984 Welsh miners’ strike and the gay and lesbian activists that supported them. It was nominated for three BAFTAs and a Golden Globe and has an abundance of great reviews. Best thing about it: it’s on Netflix.

Mamma Mia (2008)

Sometimes when you’re stressed, the best way to cheer yourself up is to watch a musical. Mamma Mia hits all right the spots: it’s funny, meaningful, has a seriously good cast, and gives you all of ABBA’s best songs.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (2011)

Not such a well-known one, this is definitely still worth a watch. The story follows a sheik with a love of fishing as he tries to introduce fly-fishing to the Middle East with the help of a British fisheries expert. Its described as both emotional and quirky and stars Emily Blunt and Ewan McGregor. (PSA it’s on Netflix) 

Copenhagen (2014)

A weird one, I had never heard of this before until browsing the critically-acclaimed independent film section on Netflix. It has mixed reviews, but it’s an easy-watch with the added bonus of feeling like you’re on holiday in Copenhagen. The story in short is an immature womaniser grows up with the help of a 14 year old girl.

Stardust (2007)

A personal favourite of mine, this always makes me feel better. It’s a modern twist on the classic fairy-tale where a young man Tristan ventures into the land of witches to retrieve a fallen star. The cast includes Claire Danes, Charlie Cox, Michelle Pfeiffer, Sienna Miller and Robert De Niro. Though its long, its action packed and definitely doesn’t feel like the 2 hours it lasts.

Legally Blonde (2001)

Definitely a film for the girls, Reese Witherspoon dominates this teen comedy. Living in the world of the ‘blondes are stupid’ stereotype, Elle Woods smashes a Harvard Law degree. She proves that no matter how hard it is, it can be done – an inspiring attitude for a stressed out student striving for graduation.  

We hope these great movies will prove useful for a bit of a break between deadlines.You might even find your newest favourite!