This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Packing for uni is a hugely stressful and exciting time, and I can guarantee everyone feels like they forgot at least one thing. When I moved in my neighbour had forgotten half her bedding… I would recommend bringing bedding as it makes the whole moving in process a lot less stressful! I have compiled a list of the top 10 things to definitely bring with you to uni in first year.

1. Cozy Blankets  

This may seem obvious for aesthetic reasons, but trust me when I say uni rooms are cold in winter. The blankets may look lovely on the bed but they also have a use! I never worked out how my radiator worked in first year, and my second year house was like a freezer. Blankets became my best friend. They’re also great for when you want to chill with friends and put on a movie. 

2. Hot Water Bottle 

Keeping with the theme of feeling the cold, you may want to bring a hot water bottle to uni. Not only are they great for popping into your bed before you get in to warm it up, they are also great at easing sore backs from sitting at a desk all day. And, of course, the classic cure for period pain. 

3. Plastic cups 

Probably an odd thing to suggest but if anyone ever comes to hang out in your room / flat / house they will almost definitely forget to bring a cup. Bringing a bottle of Vodka or wine to pres is great until you don’t have something to drink out of… so it’s always a good idea to have a backup of some plastic cups, whether they are reusable or the red solo cups. 

4. Extension Lead 

I’m telling you now, you will almost definitely need an extension lead. From laptop chargers, phone chargers, printers, lights, and mini kettles (would also highly suggest bringing a kettle for tea and hot water bottles) there are so many things that need plugging in. Just make sure it’s safe to use when plugged in. 

5. Cough and cold medication 

Just a warning, you are likely to get quite ill in your first term of uni. When you think about it, it makes perfect sense. You’re in a different environment, mingling with lots of new people all of the time, having late nights, going out clubbing for possibly the first time and wishing you had a jumper for the walk home, and starting to look after yourself and maybe not having the best diet as you adjust to uni life and start to wean off the take-aways and cheesy chips that filled Fresher’s Week. It’s totally normal, but it might be a good idea to take a few cough and cold medicines down with you so that when you feel ill you can just stay warm in bed and dose up on whatever you need. It may also be a good idea to take some multivitamins that include Vitamin C and Zinc to help fight Fresher’s Flu. 

6. Flip Flops 

Take them to use in the bathroom, especially if you are sharing. Even if you have an en-suite these might be helpful because some accommodations use wet rooms and no one likes having wet socks! 

7. The ‘out-out’ jumper 

Cannot stress how important it is to have a jumper / coat if you plan on going ‘out-out’ a lot. The walk there and back can be a very long walk if it’s cold and wet. If you get a hoodie you can tie it around your waist to avoid paying to use the cloakroom but make sure it’s nothing special because chances are that you will have drinks spilt over it. 

8. A nice dress and heels 

Societies love to host balls, especially around Christmas time, so it may be worth bringing a dress and heels if you’re unsure whether you will be travelling between home and uni a lot in the first term. You can always buy a new dress and shoes, but if you have something at home, why not save that money for the drinks on many nights out instead?! 

9. Kitchen Tongs 

Less of a necessity if you’re in catered accommodation but BUY TONGS IF YOU’RE IN SELF CATERED. It makes cooking so much easier. Frying chicken, use the tongs to turn it over. Cooking chips in an oven, use the tongs to turn them halfway. Making a stir fry, use it to mix everything together. They are my favourite thing in the kitchen. (You can also find some cute ones in TKMaxx!) 

10. Photos

Whether you have a pin board or just put them in a frame, I think it’s so nice to fill a room with pics. Especially if you have a pin board, because you can print more off as the year goes on and fill it with new faces and memories. 

Sophie is in her final year at the University of Exeter. She is the President, Editor in Chief, Social Secretary and Campus Correspondent for the Exeter Chapter of Her Campus (2021 - 2023). Sophie would love to work in the media, specifically marketing, when she graduates because of her love for reading and editing... in fact as you read this she is probably wishing that she was lying by a pool with a good book and an iced coffee!