10 Handbag ‘Must Haves’ when Travelling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

We’ve all been there; the mad scramble out the door, racing down to the terminal, desperately hoping you won’t miss your long anticipated flight only to discover once you are safely ensconced in your seat, breathing a huge sigh of relief, that “oh nooooo I have forgotten my headphones, ipod, kindle, i-pad…” You have, despite your best efforts, forgotten that one vital, personal favourite item that makes your trip complete in your haste to pack and catch your flight/train/bus.

The terrible sinking feeling of frantically searching through your bag, desperately hoping that by some mistake your favourite pair of sunglasses miraculously materialises in the side pocket, is one we are sure we know only too well.

That’s why HCX has decided to be your life-savers, the handy go to guide for any super savvy holiday maker eagerly packing for their long awaited vacation. A check-list that will save any future panics and allow you all to breathe that sigh of relief as you know you will never forget the essentials on a trip ever again (if you abide by our guide that is!)

1. Passport:

We know it may sound boringly predictable and overused but this is seriously the number 1 essential your handbag NEEDS to have! Without your passport, there cannot be an international excursion so remember to triple check this very important item.

1. Headphones:

You may have already created your holiday tunes playlist and updated your i-pad to have the entire season 5 of Gossip Girl however without your trusty headphones you will not be able to enjoy any of these things (well without embarrassment and your whole flight listening to the scandalous lives of Manhattan’s elite).

1. Pashmina:

We know we may be going into mum territory here, but it does get surprisingly chilly when the air con is on full blast or if you are catching a train in the middle of the night. Plus this can be doubled up as a pillow so you can be warm and comfy just with one accessory!

1. A pot of lip balm:

This beauty essential is practical and who doesn’t want beautiful glossy lips? Flights will dry out your lips and a handy pot of lip balm is definitely a must-have when travelling.

1. Travel Wallet:

Once you have experienced a travel wallet and enjoyed the ease that comes with it, you cannot imagine your life without one. An amazing organiser that allows all your vital travel documents to be in one place is the epitome of helpfulness!

[pagebreak]

1. Moisturiser:

Much like the lip balm, moisturiser energises and refreshes even the most travel weary passenger.  Plus if it is SPF you will be immediately prepared as you step off that plane into the glorious sunshine!

1. Phone:

Much like number 1, this essential item is a must-have for all travellers. In this day and age we all store important information, photos, cameras, numbers (the list would definitely continue) on our trusty hand-held devices. Without it we do all feel lost so remember to check that you do indeed have your phone before leaving home!

1. A good book:

Holidays are the optimum time to finally read that bestseller that has been sitting on your bedside table for months underneath all your folders and essays.  In a world full of technology, a simple book will allow you to relax, pass the time and entertain you completely! Plus as an added bonus whilst all things electrical may run out of battery, a good paperback will never leave you hanging!

1. Eye Mask:

Although unconventional, eye masks are severely underrated. A definite must-have in our handbags, which allows you to have a sneaky nap whilst still looking incredibly chic is a definite essential in our opinion!

1. An emergency concealer and mascara:

We love our beauty cosmetics and what better way to refresh your look after a wearisome travel-filled day than with a quick touch-up of your make-up?  Trust us, a slick of mascara or a touch of touché eclat will make you feel like a new woman, ready to face the rest of your journey!

We hope that our must-have essentials guide will help you all out when packing your handbag for your travels. Now just don’t miss your flight!

Photo Credits: royalegacy.blogspot.co.uk, www.sudocrem.co.uk, www.essentialtravel.co.uk