10 Differences: UK vs. US

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With summer holiday planning well under way here at HCX, our destination wish-list grows every time we browse lonely planet (it’s a shame our bank balance doesn’t though!). A great way to spend the long, well deserved summer break is to take a trip across the pond to our American neighbours. With so many places to explore and activities to experience, the United States is a must-visit whether you are looking for luxury, adventure, or partying.  Although the UK and US may not appear to be that different, they are miles apart (not only literally). Here are a few differences that you may not have noticed or may want to consider if you are making a trip across the Atlantic anytime soon… 

1. Y’all 

This word fascinates me, mainly because it just does not work in an British accent, like, at all. Phrases like “Hey y’all” just sound odd and when you say it in the elongated version it sounds even weirder “Hey you all” – nope, it just would not happen. But this is a personal favourite phrase of mine. 

2. Tipping

So, here in the UK we tip around 10%, if you are a student, you will probably tip a bit less, and there are some places you go and eat without tipping, like Nando’s. However, in the US, tipping 10% is basically an insult, 18% is tipped for a good service and 20% for an excellent service.

3. Pants vs. Trousers

Everyone knows this one, but it is worth mentioning. In the US, pants are trousers, purses are handbags and chips and crisps. No biggie, we can deal with that.

4. Sorry

Apologising when you cannot reach something in a shop, if you need to squeeze past someone, if you need something from your waiter. We think it is polite. 

5. Accents 

So I know the US have a variety of accents too but the UKs are quite extreme, especially considering the size of the country.

6. Public vs. Private 

This is of course relating to how to refer to a school. In the US a private school is called a public school and a public school is called a state school. 

7.Age of drinking 

I am pretty confident that everyone knows this, in the US it is 21 and they are super strict. In the UK you can drink at 18 and if you are out eating with your parents, you will probably be offered wine before you are 18. 

8.Drinking in public 

Apparently there is some weird thing in the US, a open-container law. Don’t get me wrong, there are some alcohol free zones, there is even a couple in Exeter (like along New North Road), but most of the time it is ok if you wanted to have a drink on a train or take a drink for the walk to the club. 

9. How to write the date properly

UK: day – month – year, US: month – day – year. I understand both but someone needs to compromise, why cant we all do the same thing, it would make life just that little bit easier. 

10. Random Facts 

Whilst researching I stumbled across some random and slightly interesting facts, such as, Median Age, US: 37.8, UK: 40.1. Net Migration, US: 5.01 million, UK: 900,000. Population density, US: 34.86, UK: 266.7 people per sq km. Now that is a pretty big difference in density and migration!!

Well there you go, some weird and wonderful differences between two powerful countries… 

Culture EditorCurrently studying Biological Sciences in my third and final year at the University of Exeter. I love adventures and exploring the world around me so I'm trying to squeeze as much fun into this stressful time - you only get one life!