Why You Should Go To ‘Sensability’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

If you’re fully able-bodied, accessibility most likely isn’t something you think about on a day-to-day basis; it’s easy to take for granted the fact that we’re able to walk to Tesco’s on our own, whenever we want, and that we don’t need to worry about the building work on campus making it difficult to walk from the bus stop to class. There are no barriers in place that explicitly stop us from doing what we want to do – and, as a result, a lot of us are oblivious as to how accessibility affects people who are differently abled to us.

In our interview with Megan Price from the FXU Don’t DisAbility society last month, she said that “Often people just don’t think about how their actions have an impact on someone who is visually impaired. […] I’m extremely light sensitive, and sometimes I’ll be in class and people will open up the blinds, or they’ll take photos with the flash on, because they just don’t think to ask first.” What we need is an improved awareness; the more that people know about disability and how to make situations and locations accessible for everyone, the more accessible the world becomes.

Sensability, a student run, first-of-its-kind sensory deprivation experience, is working to do exactly that. Through a series of team games, it will give you the chance to understand exactly how it feels to have a sensory impairment. All the proceedings from ticket sales go towards the FXU Don’t DisAbility society, and Drama Express, a Cornwall-based drama group for people with sensory related disabilities that improves self-esteem, confidence and social skills – so you can have a laugh, support some fantastic organisations, and you can be more aware of sensory disability. Three cheers for making yourself less problematic!

The event promises to be engaging, interesting, and, above all, a lot of fun. “People think disability is serious, which it is, but disabled people are also regular people who want to have fun,” says Megan. “Disability isn’t as serious as some people take it, and that’s why our event is based on activities and games.”

Also, free cake is definitely involved. Free cake, guys.

Sensability is happening THIS TUESDAY (4/4/17), between 3pm and 6pm in AMATA Production Studio. Tickets are £5, with free refreshments and cakes included, and you can book yours here. For more info, be sure to check out the Facebook page, or you can email the team at cem330team@gmail.com.

Amy Beaumont

Exeter Cornwall

I'm an English Literature and History student, a big fan of cats, and Campus Coordinator for Her Campus Exeter Cornwall.