dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Valentine’s Day in Cornwall: Date Scenarios

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Falmouth is a wonderful place to be spending Valentine’s Day, whether that’s with your boyfriend/girlfriend, a group of friends, or even by yourself! Although the town itself is averagely small, it has lots of exciting things to offer, and is surrounded by beautiful locations! John Dyer, an English painter renowned for his colourful renditions of the Cornish landscape, once described his return from London to Cornwall, as discovering he lived in a “tropical landscape”. And that is just why it is the perfect place to be spending February 14th!

Date Scenario #1 

No doubt one of the most popular choices for couples studying at Exeter-Cornwall will be the quaint Gylly Beach Cafe. It is the ideal location to spend Valentine’s with your significant other. Views of Gyllynvase beach, Pendennis Castle, and the lizard peninsula, all whilst sipping a cup of hot coffee…what could be better? If you’re looking for more than just a quick drink, GBC serves a range of meals. The daytime menu includes dishes from the famous Gylly Burger, to the traditional fish and chips! And if you’re planning on watching the sun set over a romantic dinner, the evening menu provides a wide selection of lavish dishes, including an 8oz Cornish Rib-Eye Steak, and even Crispy Cornish pork belly. And what better way to tell somebody you truly love them than with an oozing sticky toffee pudding for dessert? 

Date Scenario #2 

Falmouth has a range of wonderful restaurants to enjoy a relaxing dinner date. TripAdvisor even have a list of the best places you can visit to ensure you have a perfect night. Favourite’s among Cornish students include Zizzi’s, Rick Stein’s Fish, Five Degree’s West, and Cribbs! Discovery Quay is also home to some of the best restaurant in town, and is surrounded by stunning views of Falmouth harbour! A great way to end a date would be a walk along this harbour, which is beautifully lit up at night, and stop off at one of the local pubs, such as The Chain Locker, for a quick nightcap.     

Date Scenario #3

If you’re more the adventurous type, and enjoy being on your feet, Falmouth has tons of activities you can enjoy! This date scenario is perfect for energetic couples, and even for groups of friends! Falmouth’s local swimming pool, Ships and Castles, offers a fun-packed day with a 70m flume, rapid river ride, jacuzzi’s, and wave machine! If you’re less of the swimmer, and more of the competitive bowler, Ocean Bowl is the ideal location for you! Not only is it the largest ten pin bowling centre in Cornwall, but it also accommodates for dining whilst bowling, provides a selection of high quality pool tables, arcade machines, and even a licensed bar! And if you’re looking to top off a tiring day, Phoenix Cinema, or Falmouth’s Polytechnic cinema and arts venue, are great places to catch a good movie and unwind. 

Date Scenario #4

Although the main attraction for Exeter-Cornwall students is the famous Gyllynvase Beach, there are plenty of picturesque locations which are ideal for a romantic Valentine’s Day walk. Just five minute’s away from Gylly beach, on the outskirts of Falmouth, is the charming Swanpool Beach. Swanpool is also home to a nature reserve, crazy golf course, and even access to water-sports and kayak hire. Much like Gylly, there is an outdoor cafe which supplies a range of snacks, such as delicious Cornish ice-cream! Another great place for a gentle stroll is along Gyllynvase beach and up toward Pendennis Point. There is nothing more romantic than watching the sun set, or even rise, over the glittering Falmouth shoreline.  

Date Scenario #5

This scenario is perfect for lovers of a luxurious lifestyle! For couples, The Shed Restaurant and Cocktail Bar is the ideal restaurant to get together with your other non-single friends, and indulge in a glamourous cocktail party. It’s definitely the type of place you see a party of couples laughing and dining over wine and vodka cocktails. We students can be that sophisticated too, right? And if you’re single this February 14th, it’s the perfect place to gather with your friends and re-enact scenes from Sex and the City over a cosmopolitan! Well that’s what we do anyway…

Date Scenario #6

Not everyone has a loving S.O or hot date lined up this Valentine’s, and instead your boyfriend may come in the shape of a gigantic textbook, just like that horrible Norton Anthology. Nobody needs that in their lives! And it’s with no surprise that the University has given deadlines for this week (haven’t we only been back a week?!), so your night may well be spent hidden in the remotest corner of the library, snug in your warmest jumper, and scoffing a load of chocolate you just bought from the campus shop. You’re most probably playing the gummy bear incentive game too. Any way to get through that dreaded novel…

Date Scenario #7

And for those of you have no motivation for Uni work (It’s the weekend anyway!), your day will no doubt be spent doing what you do…err…everyday. Wake up at noon, check social media accounts, change into some new pajamas, and get back into bed again (this time with your long term bf, Netflix). And if you’re really trying to fit into the stereotype, you may have even purchased a tub of Ben & Jerry’s. Yeah, this definitely sounds like the best scenario so far…

Date Scenario #8

Expand your horizons a little bit this Valentine’s Day by venturing outside of Falmouth! Just a twenty minute train ride away is the city of Truro! It’s a beautiful location with lots of attractions. Take a relaxing boat trip on the river, visit the grand Truro Cathedral, go for a cycle on Route 3, indulge in some retail therapy, catch a movie at The Plaza, or educate yourself at the Royal Cornwall Museum. The possibilites are endless! And if you’re a avid cake fan, we suggest you take a trip to The Baking Bird. Here you can purchase a most delicious selection of home baked cakes, tea’s, and coffee.  

Date Scenario #9

Our last, but certainly not least, date scenario is expanding your romantic endeavours even further than Truro! Hop on to one of the many trains that pass through Cornwall, and travel to one of the many delightful Cornish destinations! Popular among tourists, and for good reasons, are St. Ives, the Minack Theatre, St. Michael’s Mount, the Eden Project, Penzance, and Newquay! Each location is renowned for its beautiful scenery and attractions, so if you have a little bit of time, and a little bit of money, be sure to travel someplace new!  

Hannah Harrison

Exeter Cornwall

Aspiring entertainment journalist who dreams of living and working in the USA. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus.