This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Since the beginning of January, due to the absence of the Christmas movies and specials that have filled my waking hours for the past two months, I have found myself searching for something to fill that binge-watching void. January can feel very slow-moving and, at its worst, is a lonely month for us students, with the familiar festivities of Christmas now eleven months away from us; as well as the deadlines that are suddenly looming over us. With that being said, I know that when I have a spare thirty minutes to an hour, I like to cheer myself up and get out of the January blues with some light-hearted television and comedy. I’ve recently found three very different, very charming, and very underrated TV shows for anyone who is looking for their next favorite comedy to sink their teeth into – they are listed in no particular order, as I found each one as hilarious as the next. Get watching and enjoy! 

1. Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency 

Adapted from the beloved Douglas Adams book series, this supernatural comedy is exceptionally difficult to summarize due to the nature of its hilariously wacky plots and characters. There is serial murder, time travel, body-swapping, the existence of different realities and universes – and the list goes on! Don’t be alarmed by the introduction of multiple narrative threads in the series’ first episode, as the key to Dirk’s “holistic” attitude is that everything is connected – and the interconnectedness of the universe is what brings about the events of both seasons.

The show has recently been cancelled by BBC America, so Netflix currently has all available episodes. I’ve not yet watched all of them, but I’ve heard that it’s worth watching despite the cancellation as there is a closure of sorts at the end of season two – and word on the web is that Netflix might pick up the show for a third season, so here’s hoping! With a fantastically original, humorous take on the supernatural genre, and with Elijah Wood, who never seems to age and Samuel Barnett at the center of an exciting plot (and beloved television bromance), Dirk Gently is not to be missed.  As a bonus, the campus drama society FECCLES is putting on a production of Dirk Gently from 9-11 March at The Poly in Falmouth,  so the series is living on despite its cancellation. 

2. Derry Girls 

You might have caught one of the adverts for this endearing comedy series set in Northern Ireland during “the troubles”, but they arguably don’t do justice to the three episodes of the series that have aired so far. It’s a charming and laugh-a-minute take on a period in which people learned to continue with their daily lives, despite the very real threats that surround them and the dangerous things that are occurring right on their doorstep.Viewed through the eyes of four Derry schoolgirls and their English cousin, the show is at once incredibly important during our current concerning political and social climate, and absolutely hilarious as it documents the coming-of-age troubles the youth of the time experienced,  alongside that of the ongoing political storm in their country. From having a nun steal their lipstick to getting banned from the local chip shop and not knowing how to cope, the predominantly female cast shines in what will hopefully be recognized as one of the best comedy Channel 4 has produced in years. 

3. One Day at a Time

As the second season of this show becomes available, now seems the perfect time to indulge in (and plug) this fantastic family comedy, featuring a Hispanic family coming to terms with various changes in their lives. A reboot with an edge, this show should be placed alongside the equally popular and enjoyable Full House and Will and Grace reboots that have taken the social media platforms by storm. In One Day at a Time, every main character is nuanced and likable, and with three generations (grandmother, mother, and grandchildren) all living in one household, this situational comedy is perfect in presenting comic and funny moments for all ages.

I would say that the first few episodes are slow-burners in terms of both comedic and dramatic moments, but by the end of the first season, the show had me belly-laughing one minute, and balling my eyes out the next. From PTSD to divorce to dealing with sexuality within a traditional Catholic family, this show really does cover it all – and handles every challenge it springs on its characters with ease and more importantly, with respect. Another predominantly female cast, headed by Rita Moreno, as well as some wonderful young actors bring to life the very compelling characters of this show. They feel very real to the audience, as they go through a number of issues that are very relevant to the lives of the modern individuals. Don’t underestimate this show – and don’t forget to binge-watch season two when it comes out tomorrow!

Exeter Cornwall undergraduate studying English