This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

(Photo cred: Lisa Burton)

Name: Lisa Burton

Age: 19 

Course: BA Digital Media, Year 2 

Why did you choose to study at Falmouth University? I chose Fal because it’s the number 1 arts university in the country, and I wouldn’t want to study anywhere other than the best. It’s very much like home, as being from Dorset the countryside is what i’m used to anyway! The interview process was also super positive and they loved my work, making me want to be here even more!  

What’s your favourite thing about campus? I spend most of my time at the Woodlane campus in Falmouth, and my favourite thing is how artsy the place feels. It gives off such a good vibe and its great to work in an environment where people mutually respect each others work and creativity. The study spaces at the Penryn campus are great and everything’s so central, plus the AMATA building is awesome!

What other roles do you have on campus besides that of the hardworking student? I’m president of The Chorus Choir this year. We get involved in lots of performances all year round, such as society socials and balls, most notably the FXU awards, as well as exciting flash mobs and public events! I’m also a member of the newly created Motorsport Society, as well as being a Student Ambassador and Mentor. I’m a keen volunteer and try to help out as much as I can around campus by doing this. Most recently I worked work The Disability Campaign and their event for DontDisAbility, which was an eyeopening experience!  

What do you do in your free time? Besides university, I’m heavily engrossed in client work in motorsport, my main focus being British Superbikes. I’m a designer, so anything from graphics and websites, to videos and logistics management. I’ve been involved in motorcross for years and avidly take photos from up and down the country – my work means I travel around a lot! I’ve had one of my videos on The Sun Motors website, which was pretty cool, and I’ve been striving for more of that feeling of accomplishment ever since! I’ve also been involved in carnival from a young age, which has steered me towards music and dance – being president of a choir, coming up with original arrangements is something I’ve always been passionate about! 

What motivates you to do all this? I’d say my biggest motivator is success. It’s great knowing I’ve helped a rider or team by producing a great product, so I guess I also want to provide the best I can for others. Time is the best thing you can offer someone, be it volunteering, going that extra mile or even just being a friendly face! It’s not a hard concept to grasp, whatever you do has to be really personally rewarding. 

Find out more about Lisa, and visit her website and her blog!

Kacey Gaylor

Exeter Cornwall '18

Hello, I'm Kacey and I'm your President for Her Campus Exeter-Cornwall! Also a third year English student at the University of Exeter's Penryn campus, so you'll find me in the back corner of the library behind a tower of books- just follow the scent of coffee...