Politics Poster Boy – Will Haslam!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

This week we caught up with our favorite billboard model, Will Haslam.

A second year politics and history student from Swansea, Will said it was the “beautiful location and small community” that attracted him to campus, and during his time here, Will has been involved in a number of different roles and activities.

One role Will was elected into was joint Education Officer for Penryn, which Will describes as “challenging,” yet still appreciates the opportunities which have arisen from it; such as the chance to contribute to the Future Education Strategy for Cornwall.

However, what you may recognize Will from is the giant posters which are scattered about the county: at bus stops, cinemas, and even on YouTube adverts. The aim of the posters is to try and encourage young people – particularly students – to register to vote. However, Will noted that “annoyingly,” he has become somewhat of a local celeb, and can no longer go anywhere without somebody asking if it is indeed his face with the zip across on the side of the bus stop!

Following this project, Will was offered a job working alongside Cornwall Council to promote the need for young people to register to vote and exercise their democratic right. Will believes that this is “an important rights that young people do not use enough.”

Commenting on his time at university thus far, Will said it has been “a fantastic experience” and that he would encourage everyone to “make the most of it both socially and academically.”

Olivia Burton

Exeter Cornwall