LDR: Send A Card To A Friend Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

LDR, the abbreviation of “long-distance relationship”. It’s typically used to refer to a romantic relationship in which the two people live far away from each other, but I think it can be applied to all kinds of relationships. Today is “Send A Card To A Friend Day”, so it’s a fitting opportunity to talk about long distance friendships. 

It can be pretty tough when your best friend lives roughly 300 hundred miles away from you, but that doesn’t mean your relationship should strain and suffer. Communication comes naturally with them anyway, so distance shouldn’t make that much of a difference. I still message her all the time, we Facetime regularly, and I’m pretty confident my BFF title won’t be taken away from me anytime soon. 

Sometimes, though, distance really sucks. You get used to seeing a person everyday for years, so sometimes you’ll automatically turn to the person next to you and forget it’s not actually them, and they totally wouldn’t know what you’re on about if you blurted out what you were going to say. You start building up a list of everything you need to remember to tell them when you next Facetime, but when you see their face you instantly forget every bit of news you had stored up. Awks. 

Getting post is exciting, but it’s extra exciting when it’s not an electricity bill. Sending postcards to friends and family whilst you’re at uni is such a cute way to remind people that you still care enough about them to pay the extortionate price of a postage stamp these days. You get to impart random bits of news, complain about the weather, and then get praised for your ability to pick out the card with the best tagline from Paperchase. When you get a card and realise you almost bought them the same one, you know you’re on to a winner of a friend. 

So, yes, the price of stamps is ridiculous. Yes, you might have to go out of your way to find a place that sells postcards if you’re not lucky enough to live in a seaside tourist town like I do. But in the age of technology, it’s nice to receive a good, old-fashioned piece of post once in a while. If you’re feeling creative, just make your own! E-cards can be great, but not as great as being reminded of how terrible your best friend’s handwriting is (jk). 

Kacey Gaylor

Exeter Cornwall '18

Hello, I'm Kacey and I'm your President for Her Campus Exeter-Cornwall! Also a third year English student at the University of Exeter's Penryn campus, so you'll find me in the back corner of the library behind a tower of books- just follow the scent of coffee...