A Guide to Surviving Winter at University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

During the winter period it is imperative to stay safe and warm. However, don’t let the bad weather stop you from enjoying the winter term. Everyone knows winter can be just as fun as summer! Ice-skating, sledging, hot chocolate, and movie marathons are just some of the ways to make the most of the season! And even though we might not openly admit it, we’d much rather have an early night and snuggle up in bed with a cuppa…

Stay Safe

Where there is ice and snow, take is slow! Whether you’re walking, catching the bus/train, or driving into University, ensure you take all of the proper precautions before making the journey. Snow storms are often rare for UK weather, especially in the South-West, but nevertheless, you never know when the weather is going to take a turn for the worst. In the event of a storm make sure you remove any ice or snow that may be on your vehicle, stock up on de-icer, and stay extra alert on the roads! Also, let’s not forget that accidents don’t just happen on the roads, they can occur on the pavement too! And even though it’s safe to say that we’ve probably slipped over on ice before, and embarrased ourselves in front of a large crowd, these slips can do more than just cause an uproar of laughter. So if you find yourself walking to class on an icy day, approach with caution, watch where you are going, and WALK SLOWLY! 

Stay Warm & Healthy

It’s inevitable to say that flu season is upon us, so we have to take extra precautions to guarantee we stay healthy this winter. The main ways to do so is to keep warm, and take a little extra care to protect yourself during this season. Make sure you get enough sleep every night, cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze, and wash your hands often. These are just some of the most effective ways to prevent spreading a cold, and to protect yourself against them. And as a University student, we’re all aware that heating can be pricey, so when you’re looking to save on money, try investing in a hot water bottle and/or hand warmers. Also ensure you wrap up warm when you’re going out: that means a warm coat, woolly hat, scarf, and gloves. Now you’re good to go!

Stock Up

Everybody knows that winter is the time for soups and stews, so let’s make the most of it while we can! There are tons of delicious recipes online that you can follow to create healthy and hearty dinners! And another popular alternative among students is the Cup-A-Soup; they are quick and easy to make, and equally scrummy. And it’s safe to say that during winter we tend to eat a little more than over the summer period. Once the temperature drops we’re more likely to indulge in comfort foods, and foods that are high in carbohydrates and fat. This is totally fine, just try to keep a balanced diet, drink plenty of fluids, and exercise frequently. That way you can keep up your strength, and boost your immune system. Finally, another item that needs to be stocked up on is medicine! It’s always handy to have throat lozenges, tissues, and cough medicine in close proximity, just in case. You never know when you’re going to be feeling under the weather, especially around the winter, when you’re feeling more vulnerable to the cold. 

Indulge Yourself

Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful. Hurrah! The lighting-the-fire and hot chocolate season is upon us! Deliciously milky hot chocolate topped with whipped cream and marshmallows…it’s the perfect antidote to our winter blues. There are lots of exciting flavours and toppings to experiment with, so be creative this winter! Why not try BuzzFeed’s recipe for the “world’s best hot chocolate”? And with the nights drawing in and temperatures dropping, it’s always a relief when you finally drop your bags after a long day of seminars, and curl up on the sofa with a cuppa, some biscuits and a movie. To add the cherry on top of a cosy night in, check out Bustle’s list of the 10 Best Winter Movies to make you feel all fuzzy inside. 

Plan for Spring

When you really think about it, Spring break isn’t very far away! And if you’re hoping to sail through your exams, it’s best to start planning and revising for them over Easter. Come up with a plan of what you need to do, when you need to do it, and all the resources you will need. That way, when you come to start it, you can get stuck in straight away! It’s also helpful to make a revision timetable, so you can ensure you get enough time to revise, but also enough time to celebrate Easter with your family and friends! And if you’re looking to blow a little more than steam this holiday, try adopting a more American style of celebrating, and check out Cornwall’s latest student event, Spring Break UK

Plan for Summer

Esentially, the perfect way to banish those winter blues is by distracting yourself from them, and there are so many fun ways in which you can do this! How about creating a Spotify playlist of all the songs you want to become the soundtrack of your summer? Alternatively, Spotify create their own playlists that are designed to suit everybody’s musical tastes: Summer Party, Dub on the Beach, Barefoot at the Shoreline, Summer for Hipsters. Whatever your musical preference, you’re covered! More up-beat tunes are likely to get you pumped and motivated to race through revision! And if you’re looking for another fun way to spice up the winter, why not create a Summer Bucket List of all the things you want to experience over the holidays? Additionally, if you’re planning on staying in Cornwall after exams, you may be interested in another of Cornwall’s biggest student events, the Tunes in the Dunes Festival! It’s gonna’ be big!

Hannah Harrison

Exeter Cornwall

Aspiring entertainment journalist who dreams of living and working in the USA. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus.