Get the Library Look: Top 5 Essentials for an All-Nighter Library Session

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

So it’s that time again… it’s the final term of the year and deadlines are back to rear their ugly heads. Every year we find ourselves making New Year’s resolutions to get more organised, yet some of us still end up in the library working into the early hours to finish a deadline (we never learn!). So that we don’t end up weeping, quivering and manically rocking in a corner from pre-deadline stress, here are five easy tips to combat deadline blues and survive the dreaded library all-nighter.

1. Dress for Comfort

When stressing about a tight deadline, comfort is key. Although donning your favourite pair of skinny jeans and a full face of make-up has become a daily ritual, for a library all-nighter this simply will not do! I recommend an uber-comfy pair of sweatpants, or leggings and a big cosy jumper. If you’re feeling particularly adventurous why not brave a onesie, take this as an opportunity to really slob out!

1. Junk Food

When it comes to deadline food, I echo the importance of comfort. Anything sugary will give you a much needed energy buzz, so make sure you stock up on chocolate supplies at the campus shop. You can even use comfort food as motivational incentives, like setting yourself targets to achieve and then enjoying a tasty treat once you’ve reached them. Remember, working on a tight deadline is the best excuse to eat junk food solidly for 24 hours so enjoy it!

1. Coffee – and lots of it!

Caffeine is great for boosting brain power and perfect for all-nighter library sessions. Having a handy flask of coffee made just the way you like is the best way to get your regular caffeine fix, and it will stay warm and tasty for hours! If that’s not enough, Koofi opens at 8am Monday-Friday. This means that on the morning after, you can finally reward yourself by devouring a much deserved mountain of hot chocolate and a cake (or two). 

1. Music

Getting yourself in the right frame of mind is really important when working on a deadline. Whether you want some chilled vibes to de-stress or something bassy to get you pumped and ready to work, having your iPod or laptop with you to provide a soundtrack to your all-nighter is perfect for setting the right mood. Just don’t forget the headphones!

1. Regular Breaks

When hours of non-stop essay writing has taken its toll and your brain is well and truly fried, find a quiet space to rest. A beanbag, sofa or comfy chair is the ideal spot to have some me time and help to revive you back into essay mode.