This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Paris has always been one of those cities that I have been attracted to,  ever since I saw Moulin Rouge and was drawn into the Bohemian fantasy world. Even after visiting this magical city, I cannot help but want to be swept back over and over again. 

Paris has been somewhat of a magnet for a whole range of people throughout history with many artists and writers exiling themselves in their melancholic Romantic state in the 1800’s. Then as we see in Midnight in Paris, the 1920’s served for a mass of American writers finding their inspiration in the French capital. The appeal is purely a romantic ideal, and the reality is pretty much the same, apart from some minor drawbacks e.g the sweltering heat when you go in the middle of June, and being hustled and bustled on a very, very hot Metro carriage. 

(Image by SiobhanEardleyPhotography)

The French capital has something for everyone who enjoys a rich, creative culture. Is boasts seemingly endless art galleries that appeal to both the more traditional, as well as the more contemporary minds; from the Louvre to the National Museum of Modern Art and the Musée d’ Orsay being somewhere in the middle. 

For a Literature student, Paris is perfect for inspiration and landmarks of literature. Paris housed some of the greats, including Oscar Wilde and James Joyce; two of the most influential writers of all time. Even though visiting a graveyard may not be top on peoples lists, Wilde’s grave is something not to be missed, with its highly dramatic tomb stone that is covered head to toe with lipstick marks from thousands upon thousands of fans. 

(Image by SiobhanEardleyPhotography)

Of course, the typical tourist destinations are not to be missed. The Eiffel Tower is simply magnificent, and making the huge climb to the top is fantastic. There is nothing like seeing a buzzing city from such a height, and the Eiffel Tower is possibly the best for this kind of experience. The Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame and Sacré Coeur are all prime examples of places that make Paris feel truly magical. Possibly one of the most charming things among these places is the bridge going across to Notre Dame that is strewn with padlocks that couples have thrown the keys to in the Seine. The sheer amount of padlocks is absolutely fantastic, and the idea that throwing the key into the river will make love last forever is just lovely!

(Image by SiobhanEardleyPhotography)

Paris isn’t for everyone, I think if you don’t have a preconceived romantic ideal of the place before you go, you may not be as enamoured by it as others. But nonetheless it i hard to believe that people can hate it. All I’m saying is, watch Midnight in Paris and maybe you will be convinced. 

I am an aspiring film and entertainment journalist and MA student at the University of Exeter.