The Essential Food Lover’s Guide: Dolly’s Tea Room and Wine Bar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

On a raining Saturday afternoon in Falmouth I decided to take shelter in Dolly’s Tea Room and Wine Bar, a beautiful Georgian style cafe on the high street. After coming in from the rain, I was appropriately greeted by the jazz classic ‘Stormy Weather’ playing throughout the tea room. I felt so welcomed by Dolly’s eclectic vintage style and nostalgic soundtrack that it was like stepping into an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel. The gorgeous Georgian decor really captures the style of the 1920s; everything down to the floral china teacups creates an atmosphere that oozes elegance.

Dolly’s pleasant atmosphere means that it is the perfect place to grab a bite to eat. I opted for a locally smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwich with a white chocolate mocha. Everything was great quality and presented beautifully. With an extensive daytime menu, sandwiches, and even a cheeseboard, there really is something for everyone.

Any good cafe in Falmouth wouldn’t be complete without a cream tea! Dolly’s offers six different types of afternoon tea, from a traditional Cornish cream tea to a Deluxe afternoon tea for two. Indulging in a Cornish cream tea should definitely be something to tick off the bucket list while studying in Falmouth. As Dolly’s offers such a wide variety at reasonable prices, how could we refuse?

If the afternoon tea menu isn’t enough to entice you, there is always an assortment of freshly baked cakes on display a soon as you walk in. I would recommend a slice of something chocolately with a cup of smooth coffee, or a slightly fruitier cake with one of Dolly’s exotic flavoured teas for a tasty afternoon treat. As summer is fast approaching, why not try one of Dolly’s ice cream sodas with a choice of lemonade or ginger beer topped with Roskilly’s Cornish vanilla ice cream? A deliciously refreshing drink that’s perfect after a day at the beach.

In the evening, Dolly’s is transformed into a stylish wine bar featuring a new Gin Palace. Here you can discover your favourite flavour, add your choice of tonic, and finish with a refreshing garnish. Dolly’s wine bar is a fabulous place to start a night out, or to have a few quiet drinks in a relaxed atmosphere.

Why go to Dolly’s? It’s perfect for a bite to eat, drinks with friends, or just a chilled out place to study. But for me the biggest appeal is definitely the tea room’s usual resident Hebe, the cutest necklace wearing Labrador in Falmouth who dotes affectionately on customers as they soak up the delightful ambience that Dolly’s has to offer. What’s not to love?