This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Sometimes it can get a bit boring being a vegetarian. We tend to stick to the same meals we know we can eat and enjoy, and order the same dishes over and over at restaurants. One such dish is the good old veggie burger, made from meat substitutes such as Quorn, or mashed and baked vegetables with beans. If you feel like mixing it up a bit and making your own, try out this simple recipe thats both tasty and filling. 

What You’ll Need: 

– Frying Pan (+oil) and boiling pot (+water, salt)

– Two handfuls of rice (white or brown, both work fine!)

– Half a tin of chickpeas

– Half a tin of cannelini beans

– Two handfuls of sweetcorn and/or peas

Optional: Add a tablespoon or two of curry paste to the mixture to give the burgers more spice and flavour, or any other seasoning for that matter – even adding Pesto tastes great!

Directions:

– Add the rice, chickpeas, beans and any vegetables to the pot and leave to boil for around 20 minutes or longer, depending on the type of rice you’re using.

– When soft and well cooked, drain the water and add any seasoning to the mixture before mashing the concoction with a fork. 

– Add oil to the frying pan, then add the mixture to the pan with a fork and spoon. Use the cutlery to shape the mixture into cirlces, and flatten the top with the spoon to spread out into a burger. The mixture should make 4-5 burgers. 

– Fry the burgers for around ten minutes, flipping now again until both sides are golden brown. 

– Serve up in bread buns, or for a slightly healthier option serve in pita breads with salad. Then eat up and enjoy! 

Kacey Gaylor

Exeter Cornwall '18

Hello, I'm Kacey and I'm your President for Her Campus Exeter-Cornwall! Also a third year English student at the University of Exeter's Penryn campus, so you'll find me in the back corner of the library behind a tower of books- just follow the scent of coffee...