Campus Celebrity: Sam Oliver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Tell us a little more about University open days… I have helped on numerous Open Days by showing prospective students and families the accommodation in Glasney Student Village. It was funny because most of the parents were mainly concerned about the cost and quality of the flat, whilst the students were more concerned about the TV and WiFi! It was a great experience to help out with any questions about student life and a great opportunity to help promote the university to new students.

We also hear that you’re a part of Penryn Press! Tell us about your role within the team… I am a part of the digital team for Penryn Press where we have been making an ebook for the first publication ‘Did You Know There Are Dragons in Cornwall?’. It has been hard as none of us are experts with the software but we have collaborated as a team to make a great ebook and are looking forward to starting the next one!

On top of being involved in Open Day’s and working for a student run publishing company, are there any other extra-curricular activities you are a part of? Yes, I am also working toward achieving the Exeter Award. Penryn Press has been a great contributor to that and I have recently attended some Career Zone events in order to boost my award. After all it is an important qualification to have on your CV!

And finally, what are you most looking forward to in your third year? And what would you like to achieve after your degree? For my third year I am looking forward to selecting modules for the first time. It’s a great opportunity to focus on my favourite literary interests and I’m really looking forward to doing Revenge and Witchcraft modules next term. I’m still unsure as to what I want to do after university, so I am looking to do some more work experience to try and find what is right for me.

Hannah Harrison

Exeter Cornwall

Aspiring entertainment journalist who dreams of living and working in the USA. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus.