Campus Celebrity: Harriet Allen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Harriet Allen was kind enough to allow us to interview her for Campus Celebrity this week. Harriet went to Cyprus working with turtles last summer, let’s hear about her experience…

Tell us about what you wanted to achieve in Cyprus. I just wanted to get some experience with volunteering and help with conservation efforts for endangered species- specifically turtles.

What was the highlight of your trip? There were probably two: The first was seeing a turtle come up at dawn so I could see it really clearly and take photos. The second was seeing my first hatching nest actually hatch, and I watched them go into the sea and be released. It was really incredible and rewarding.

If you were an animal what would you be and why? A killer whale- because they’re cool.

Do you have any plans for the future? I definitely want to carry on with my education and finish my degree, then I plan to get a job- hopefully something to do with marine research.

If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go? I’d love to go to Hawaii. I’d learn to surf and explore the beaches, as well as doing a lot more snorkelling and diving. I’d also enjoy hiking around the area because it’s meant to be a beautiful place.

If you were famous, who would you like your celebrity best friend to be? David Attenborough! No one else even comes close!

What has your university highlight been? I went to the Eden Project at Christmas and we went ice skating and had a great laugh, acting like idiots all day!

If you owned a pub what would you call it? Pub I!

Kirsten Munday

Exeter Cornwall