Campus Celeb: Tom Fidler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is 2nd year History undergraduate Tom Fidler!

Originally from Sunbury-on-Thames in Surrey, Tom is well known amongst the humanities department, most notably for his role as President of the History Society. As well as this, he also acts as the second year rep for the History SSLC and as the Humanities Change Agent! Tom is an ambassador for the Holocaust Educational Trust and in November he was part of a team of students who worked alongside the HET to arrange for a Holocaust survivor to come and talk to us about her experience.

Aside from the academic aspects of his role, he helped organise the upcoming trip to Berlin in March, which a lot of students are looking forward to. He also helped to plan Cornage, the biggest student run pub-crawl in Falmouth, which is happening on the 27th of February and is bound to be eventful! For more information on this and to get involved check out the Facebook page here.

When he’s not busy with society matters, Tom can be found working behind the bar at the Mason’s Arms pub on Falmouth Moor or playing five a side football on the MUGA (Multi Use Games Area) on campus with friends. He also volunteers with a number of organisations within Cornwall, including the Trevithick Society and is also currently co-directing an oral history project focusing on the political history of David Penhaligon, one of Cornwall’s most famous MPs of the last century. For more information on this project or to donate to the Remembering David Penhaligon fund see here.

To keep up with Tom’s projects (and for some football related tweets along the way), follow him at https://twitter.com/TomFidler!

Bethany Strong

Exeter Cornwall

I'm a student of BA English & History at the University of Exeter's Cornwall Campus. I've always loved writing and I hope to pursue a career in journalism or publishing once I have graduated.