Campus Celeb: Lily Darvell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock for the past week or so, you’ll know that the FXU elections for next year’s Presidents are now in full swing.  This week we caught up with one of the candidates running for Exeter President, Lily, to find out a little bit more about her and get to know the girl behind the campaign posters!

Name: Lily Darvell

Course: English

Describe yourself in three words: Happy, Enthusiastic and Approachable

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?: A lot of things! I love music and I am part of the Chorus choir and Jazz Harbour. I am the contact coach for the Quidditch Team! (It is a thing! I promise!). I played Rugby for Cornwall in first year; unfortunately I ran out of free time to play it in, but I’m still a huge fan and watch it when I can. I also knit and have several jumpers with bizarrely long sleeves, and follow a lot of people’s YouTube channels.

What is your all-time favourite tv show?: Black Books! Whilst I wish I could be a drunk Irish bookshop owner I have to live my dream through Dylan Moran.

If you could meet anyone in the world (dead or alive), who would it be and what would you say to them?: Tolkien. For sure. I would want to keep him alive long enough to finish writing all of his books! I would probably ask him what he thought of the Peter Jackson films, it probably wouldn’t be positive!

What do you like about living in Falmouth?: Undoubtedly the countryside; I walk to Flushing fairly often and it’s one of my favourite things to do if it’s blackberry season (and if it isn’t raining…) The beaches are another great feature of living in Falmouth, and I suppose the Uni is pretty cool too…

If you could live anywhere else in the world where would it be and why?: CANADA! I am half Canadian and spent last summer over there, enjoying the maple syrup and occasional bear sightings. Although my family are from Quebec, I’d probably avoid living there because my French is appalling; I’d love to live in the Rockies and hopefully have a sturdy basement to hide in if there’s a bear attack…

What is your ultimate dream job?: I want to be a teacher, even if it means fulfilling the English student stereotype. Ideally I’d start in Northern Canada, I am really interested in the culture and I love the proper cold!

What made you decide to run for Exeter President?: I made the decision to go for Exeter President at the beginning of 2nd year, the best thing about my University experience so far has been the things I have done through FXU. I really want to give other students the ability to do the same. Throughout my time with FXU and also through my role as Student Rep (and then subject chair) I have seen a lot of things I believe I can help improve and I think I can make a real difference to the student experience on this campus.

To keep up to date with Lily’s campaign be sure to like her Facebook page here.To read all of the candidate’s manifestos and cast your vote, head over to http://www.fxu.org.uk/content/748843/elections now!

Get the Lily bug and #votelily for Exeter President!

Bethany Strong

Exeter Cornwall

I'm a student of BA English & History at the University of Exeter's Cornwall Campus. I've always loved writing and I hope to pursue a career in journalism or publishing once I have graduated.