Campus Celeb: Immy Sykes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

This week’s Campus Celeb is second year English undergraduate Immy Sykes!

Originally from Chester or “up north” as she calls it, Immy is a Student Ambassador and plays an active role in campus life! In addition to the regular roles of an ambassador such as helping out on open days, Immy also helped with the offer holder phone calls and as a halls rep, as well as working over summer with the International Summer School. On top of this, she is an Ementor for Realising Opportunities, mentoring 8 students from around the country, she assists with the Grand Challenges programme and is also on the Cornwall Humanities Employability Committee (CHUMS). Phew!

In her (rare) free time when she isn’t in meetings or volunteering, she likes running and yoga and she also cares about the environment! She works on the Green Living Project with the FXU, carrying out waste audits on campus and helping out on the vegetable stalls in the compass, in addition to being a part of the University of Exeter’s Green Steps course. She has “a real issue about waste”, so prefers to shop in charity shops and says that her dream style is that of power dresser Samantha from Sex and the City!

Impressively, Immy recently made it to the final 18 of the Rolls-Royce Female Undergraduate of the Year Award after being anonymously entered and still doesn’t actually know who entered her! If you’re reading this, she says “I am eternally grateful, please tell me who you are so I can thank you!” She believes that schemes like this are vital as she’s extremely passionate about “getting women into really male-dominated areas of the world” and says that the whole experience was life-changing. To find out more about the award check out the website here!

Despite often travelling the lengths of the country for various meetings and to visit her boyfriend, Immy loves living in Falmouth, particularly because of the close-knit community feel of our small campus and thinks that the friendly atmosphere is unrivalled, “you don’t get that anywhere else and you really notice it when you are away.”

To find out more about Immy and to keep up to date with her train journey commentaries, be sure to to follow her on Twitter at @JimmyJykes!

Bethany Strong

Exeter Cornwall

I'm a student of BA English & History at the University of Exeter's Cornwall Campus. I've always loved writing and I hope to pursue a career in journalism or publishing once I have graduated.