Autumn/Winter Lookbook: 5 Outfit Inspirations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Now that the cold weather seems to be setting in, I thought it was about time to update my autumn/winter wardrobe with a few new items to mix up with my old clothes. Despite already owning a mountain of oversized knitted jumpers, this naturally involved adding to the pile. Retro materials and rustic colours seem to be the in-thing, so here are a few outfit ideas I put together to keep myself feelin’ all cosy and pretty throughout the gloomy months ahead. 

1. The jumper dress.

I pretty much live in this dress at the minute, because it feels as if you’re just walking around in pyjamas. It also combines two of my favourite things: stripes, and going braless without anyone noticing. An oversized jumper dress is perfect for those days when you don’t really want to make an effort, or will be sat in the library for ten hours cramming for those deadlines. It may not be the most flattering of outfits for your figure, but going a few sizes up than your normal fit is soooo freeing. I team it up with a pair of knitted tights and knee-high boots for optimum comfort. 

2. The cordoroy pinafore. 

I. Love. Corduroy. I am always looking for corduroy clothes to add to my wardrobe, and a pinafore is the perfect way to do that without looking like a 70’s English professor. I got this one in February from Topshop, and despite being a bit on the pricey side it was definitely an investment piece. New Look is great for a smaller budget, where I also picked up a rusty orange cord pinafore earlier in the year. Pinafores are so great because you can literally get away with wearing anything under them: jumpers, crop tops, button up shirts, even off the shoulder blouses. I like to wear my turtleneck jumpers underneath, because it gives me an excuse to buy them in all different colours. 

3. The turtleneck/knitted jumper.

Turtle necks, roll necks – whatever you call them, they’re hella comfy. Give me all the jumpers, all the time plz. They save your neck from the horrible biting winds, and also save you from having to find a scarf that is going to match your outfit. I own so many jumpers that some people think I have a problem, but I wear them so often that I always get my moneys worth out of them. They go with absolutely anything: jeans, leggings, skirts, and obviously those pinafores I love so much. 

4. The button front skirt.

These skirts are everywhere at the minute, in all different styles. I found this burgundy suede skirt in an online sale for a fiver and couldn’t resist. I’m on the hunt for a black denim one so that I can team it up with loads of different coloured tights. Tuck in your turtleneck and you’re ready to go! 

5. The oversized hat.

This is a new one for me, because I usually stick to my woolly hats with giant pom poms swinging off the end when the weather turns cold. My sister’s big burgundy brimmed hat certainly looks more fashionable than my yellow knitted Star Trek beanie. When I first looked in the mirror I thought a hat like this might be a bit too stylish for me, but when I put on my big grey coat and beige scarf to go with it, I decided stylish is a good thing. It would go with all of the outfits ideas I’ve listed above too, a big bonus! 

Big thanks to my sister for photographing me outside in our back garden even though it was freezing and windy. Clearly all for a great cause. 

Kacey Gaylor

Exeter Cornwall '18

Hello, I'm Kacey and I'm your President for Her Campus Exeter-Cornwall! Also a third year English student at the University of Exeter's Penryn campus, so you'll find me in the back corner of the library behind a tower of books- just follow the scent of coffee...