This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

If you’re an early riser like I am, then autumn is the season that wreaks havoc with your body. You find yourself waking in darkness like it’s the middle of the night, and all you want to do is curl up into a ball like a hedgehog and hibernate for the rest of the day. But you don’t. Instead, you roll over and force yourself out of bed because this is the most beautiful time of day. Eventually the sun will start to rise and your room will be in that soft place between darkness and lightness, your coffee will taste magical because it’s early enough for you to appreciate it properly, and your head will feel clearer for experiencing such a gentle start to the day.

I like to play music quietly when I wake up to avoid the horrible combination of darkness and silence, but it has to be gentle and low enough not to wake my housemates. Here’s my playlist for those silky autumnal mornings: 

Autumn Leaves, Ed Sheeran

Nothing Arrived, Villagers

Golden Leaves, Passenger

Angela, The Lumineers

Cinder and Smoke, Iron & Wine 

Heartbeats, Jose Gonzalez 

Flume, Bon Iver 

All We Do, Oh Wonder 

Cavalier, James Vincent McMorrow 

Shiver, Lucy Rose

Kacey Gaylor

Exeter Cornwall '18

Hello, I'm Kacey and I'm your President for Her Campus Exeter-Cornwall! Also a third year English student at the University of Exeter's Penryn campus, so you'll find me in the back corner of the library behind a tower of books- just follow the scent of coffee...