6 Things You May Not Know about Karlie Kloss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Karlie Kloss has been mentioned a lot lately, and a lot of the time it’s in relation to best friend and famous singer/songwriter Taylor Swift.

It’s true that these two represent the most ultimate squad goals. Karlie has her own room in Taylor’s New York apartment, and featured not only in Taylor’s latest concert (appearing in Hyde Park, London), but also in her Bad Blood music video as ‘Knockout’. 

She’s also a brilliant American fashion model, and signed to Elite Model Management at age fifteen, walking a total of 64 shows in New York, Milan and Paris – all in her first season!

Not only has she stunned on catwalks, Karlie has been the face of huge names such as Christian Dior, Lacoste, Topshop, Yves Saint Laurent, Chanel, and was a Victoria’s Secret Angel.

So what else is there to Karlie Kloss that you may not know?

1.  She loves coding, and wants more women to get involved with it!

In April 2015, she partnered with Flatiron School and Code.org to offer a scholarship named Kode with Karlie for 20 girls aged 13 to 18 who were interested in Computer Science and Software Engineering:

“Code is only going to continue to play a major role in defining our future. I think it’s crucial that young women learn to code as early as possible to ensure that we as young women have a voice and a stake in what the world looks like.”

She told Buzzfeed, “It doesn’t matter if you’re a fashion model or high school student, understanding code is so important because it’s the language that runs our world!”

2.  She’s an up-and-coming entrepreneur 

Karlie is leaving her role as a Victoria’s secret model to focus on studying at NYU’s Gallatin School of Individualized Study, wanting to develop her entrepreneurial skills and gain wider knowledge of economics and business.

3.  She loves baking – and made a brilliant business out of it!

The Karlie’s Kookies (which are dairy and gluten free) range was launched in 2012 by Karlie, in collaboration with Christina Tosi at Momofuku Milk Bar in New York.

Proceeds from the 5boro Kookie tins go to FEED, providing ’30 meals to hungry New Yorkers ‘ affected by Hurricane Sandy. The 5boro Kookie is made with almond flour and sweetened with pineapple juice.

She also produced Perfect 10 Kookies. These are also dairy and gluten free, and named as such because each ‘each tin of perfect 10 kookies provides 60 school meals to hungry children around the world’. The Perfect 10 Kookie is made with almond flour and gluten-free oats and sweetened with agave.

The Milk Bar website said ‘the impact of our kookies is reaching new heights with its latest partnership with the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) to provide support to young American fashion designers’. Karlie also sold her cookies at DKNY Soho during Fashion’s Night Out in New York City in 2012.

‘”I’m such a baking nerd,” Karlie said in an interview. ”When I received my first modelling cheque, I went straight out and bought this Kitchen Aid.”

4.  She loves ballet

Karlie studied classical ballet at Caston’s Ballet Academy in 2002. Her height prevented any aspirations to become a professional ballerina, but the training (and her height) were huge contributors to her success as a model.

She told Vogue

“I was cancelled for my first show in my first season because I walked like a duck with my feet turned out”

“My ballet training was honestly the most valuable thing I could have done to prepare myself for this career’ She said, ‘[Modelling] is about movement, about rhythm, about your body and your muscles.”

5.  She’s launched a Youtube channel 

The channel is called ‘ Klossy’ and gives an inside look at her life. 

“I’ve made time for my baking career, learned how to code, and I just got accepted to NYU-not to mention I’ve met some amazing friends along the way. I’ve spend the majority of my life in front of the camera-but not my camera, and that’s where this is different. These are the things you didn’t get to see.”

You can watch the channel trailer below:

6. She originally thought she would be a health care provider:

My dad Kurt is a health care provider, so when I was rising up I had it in my head that I’d turn out to be one too. There’s something heroic about being a health care provider.’

Emma Pocock

Exeter Cornwall