6 of the Best ‘Back to the Future Day’ Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

In honour of Back to the Future Day today (the date travelled to in the second film), we’ve rounded up the best of today’s Back to the Future events.

1.   Doc’s Message to 2015

Surely the best part of today was Christopher Lloyd – The Doc himself – giving us a special message on the Trilogy’s Facebook page: 

Not only that, the first official Doc Brown short since 1991 has been released with the special 30th Anniversary Edition Trilogy boxset today! Take a look at the teaser below: 

2.   Pepsi releases ‘Pepsi Perfect’

Marty McFly receives ‘Pepsi Perfect’ in the diner he visits in Back to the Future Part II, and in commemoration of this, Pepsi released their own limited editionPepsi Perfect’ bottle. Only 6,500 bottles will be made, each sold for $20.15 online.

3.   Queensland Police’s ‘hoverboard unit’

The hilarious statement from their police department makes excellent use of references to Back to the Future Part II:

“This morning police officers from the Mount Isa Hoverboard Unit were called to attend a traffic crash on Rodeo Drive.  A silver sedan had crashed into a power pole near the cinema. When questioned what speed he was doing, the driver stated that he was doing 88 miles per hour.

“A 17-year-old man was charged and was in possession of a licence which expired over 30 years ago. Investigations into the vehicle and what a flux capacitor is, are ongoing. The Mount Isa Cinema received a loss of power to the building. Owner Jodi Saunders said the driver got out of the car and asked for a Pepsi.

“He also wanted to know when we would be playing Jaws 19,” Jodi Saunders said. 

The damage to the power pole caused a power outage to the area. Mount Isa Mayor Tony McGrady advised that the power outage caused damage to the town clock, which has stopped working.

“We have repairs underway to save the clock tower,” Mayor McGrady said”

4.   USA Today’s Headlines

This newspaper went as far as to publish the very story from October 22nd 2015 in Back to the Future Part II (which you can buy tomorrow). Take a look below: 

5.   The National Space Centre’s ‘Back to the Future Night

An Enchantment Under the Sea dance, a vintage market and fashion show, retro video-games and D-I-Y DeLorean crafts – all at the National Space Centre! What could be better on Back to the Future Day? 

6.   Self-Driving DeLorean

Engineers at Stanford University have released footage of an original DeLorean with a self-driving computer. The car – called MARTY (Multiple Actuator Research Test bed for Yaw control) – is being used for research into self-driving cars. 

As The Doc (kind of) said to Marty in the first film:

’The way I see it, if you’re going to build a computer into a car, why not do it with some style?’

If you’re still wanting more from October 21st 2015, why not put your movie knowledge to the ultimate test and take this Back to the Future quiz? And make sure you marathon the Trilogy – or at least watch the second film!