5 Good Things About The ‘Justice League’ Trailer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

2017 is shaping up to be the year of the superhero movie, and, as always this genre is dominated by Marvel and DC comics. Marvel has put out a number of amazing, high-budget films, and we are to see more coming from them this year, while DC, despite being well-respected in its field, has caused a lot of contention with last year’s Suicide Squad, and Batman vs. Superman. This year means the appearance of the Justice League movie; which already seems to have divided fans of the comics.  

This new trailer for the movie came out today, and to prove that, despite having to live up to some high expectations from the fandom, it could be a good, here are 5 positive things about the trailer.

1. Focus on each of the characters and their strengths

The trailer starts off by giving us a view into each of the characters personalities, particularly the new ones that we aren’t so familiar with. Aquaman, Cyborg and the Flash are both shown as heroes in their own right, and why they deserve to be in the League at all. As for Wonder Woman and Batman, they’re heroes, of course, but also prove themselves to be worthy leaders of this group, in the absence of a certain Kryptonian.

2. Special effects

Too much CGI can prove a detriment to a movie, particularly when it’s an epic superhero film that requires quite a bit. But from what we see in this trailer, the effects are put to effective use, and don’t take away from the power of the scenes (the Aquaman water scene anyone?) or the visuals they create for the audience.

3. Costumes

Costumes, when it comes to representing a superhero in a recognizable but modern way, are essential. And ths movie seems to deliver. Twists are given to old standards like the Flash and Batman suit, while Aquaman and Cyborg themselves are given costumes that could prove the envy of the audience themselves. After all, who doesn’t want their very own trident?

4. Relationships between characters

Despite the usual tension you would find between this many people with this much power combined, these characters seem to get on pretty well, which can also attest to the chemistry between the actors themselves. And, despite what Bruce Wayne says to Alfred, it might last a while. Bruce and Diana treat each other as equals, and the banter between Barry and Bruce seems to be showing a burgeoning father-son relationship that they both sorely need.

5. Unite the League

The threat to the world and to humanity is made perfectly clear, and so what the League is fighting for (and against) is represented is in a comprehensible yet thrilling way. And they are all but invisible in the trailer, which only adds to the danger and mystery of their enemy. The message it ultimately transmits to the audience of uniting against a threat is perhaps what is needed in this current fraught political and social climate.

Directed by Zack Snyder, this movie, whatever your opinion of DC and its movies in general, will prove to be a good addition to the superhero genre, and may even meet the fandom’s high expectations. It premieres on 17 November 2017.

Molly Griffiths

Exeter Cornwall '18

I grew up in Paris but was born in Ireland to an Irish mother and a British father. I'm literally obsessed with movies and literature. I also love animals and discovering new things.