5 Affordable TV Inspired Outfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

A new year may not mean a new you, but it can certainly mean a new wardrobe, right? With sales continuing into February, and offering reduced prices on some of your favourite threads, combined with that huge wad of cash you most likely pocketed over Christmas, what better way to start 2015 than with some retail therapy? It also comes with no surprise that many of your favourite celebrities have some pretty damn amazing clothes, which of course come at a pricey cost, however many can in fact be purchased for a fraction of the price at many local fashion retailers! And that is something which us collegiates just need to hear!  

1. Jessica Day (New Girl)

It’s probable that at some point whilst watching New Girl you have envied Zooey Deschanel’s fashion, but in matter of fact, many of her outfits can be found on the high street. This stunning ASOS Noisy May Tartan Jumper is not only in trend right now, but is perfect to throw on before a 9am lecture on a winters morning. The red adds a post-Christmas feel, and can also be doubled with acid wash jeans, a leather jacket and biker boots to create a rock-chick look. 

2. Alison DiLaurentis (Pretty Little Liars)

For those evenings, and let’s face it, days, when you just don’t feel up to facing the cold weather, leggings are always the answer! Seen here on ABC Family’s Pretty Little Liars, Alison DiLaurentis sports some gorgeous leopard print trousers. A similar pair can again be found at ASOS for just over £10! All you have to do is throw on your comfiest tee and it automatically becomes the perfect outfit to lounge on the sofa with cup of hot chocolate and a great book.

3. Clara Oswald (Doctor Who)

And for those nights when you finally do feel up for venturing out, Doctor Who’s Clara Oswald has the perfect dress! This dark green and blue checkered tunic dress from New Look is extremely adorable, and can easily be paired with a cardigan, patterned tights and some dainty jewelry to create the perfect going-out outift. Not only that but it’ll keep you warm on the walk home. 

4. Carrie Bradshaw (The Carrie Diaries)

It’s not long until Valentine’s Day, and Carrie Bradshaw knows just how to celebrate! To add an 80’s pop to your current style, have a browse through Oasis’s extensive patterned jumpers! They’re cute, comfy, and affordable! Three words we just love to hear! This particular outfit would look perfect paired with a mini skater skirt, a pair of dolly shoes, and some coloured lippy. Very February 14th…

5. Blair Waldorf (Gossip Girl)

Gossip Girl’s Blake Waldorf certainly knows how to banish the winter blues! Beckon the arrival of Spring by proudly sporting some seasonal colours, like this beautiful bright pink blazer. A similar design can be found at ASOS for just £35. However, if you’re looking for something a little cheaper, and with a variety of colours, it may be worth browsing Boohoo’s selection of jackets, where you’re sure to find some wonderful alternatives, such as this lovely coral pocket blazer, for just £20!

Happy Shopping! 

Hannah Harrison

Exeter Cornwall

Aspiring entertainment journalist who dreams of living and working in the USA. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus.