This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Your A-Z Fashion Dictionary

Love fashion, but not sure exactly what the terms “macramé” and “vent” mean? Look no further than this A-Z fashion dictionary. From a-line to zori, this list will have you speaking like a designer in no time.

A-line

A skirt that is fitted at the waist and widens toward the hem, like the sides of a letter “A.”

Bolt

A unit of measurement for fabric used in fashion design. Bolts are usually between 40-100 yards.

Couture

Clothing that is designed by hand for each individual customer, specifically to meet their measurements.

Dart

A pleat put into a piece of clothing to help shape it, usually around the bust or waist.

Empire waist

When a garment’s waistline sits just under the bust, rather than around the waist.

Face

The face of a piece of fabric is the side of the fabric that is meant to be facing out when it is worn.

Garment

A single item of clothing.

Hem

The finished bottom edge of a dress, skirt, coat, or pant.

Instep

The arched area of your foot. In fashion, the instep refers to the part of a shoe that covers this part of your foot.

Jersey

A stretchy fabric often used to make t-shirts.

Knife pleat

Pressed pleats that create sharp folds.

Lettuce hem

Occurs when the fabric is stretched and pulled while being sewn, which creates a wavy hem that resembles the edge of a lettuce leaf.

Macramé

A technique of making fabric by threading together multiple different colors or types of yarn or string into decorative patterns.

Non-woven

A category of fabrics that is not woven, knitted, knotted, or crocheted. These types of fabrics are not as popular as woven fabrics.

Ombre

A gradual change in color from dark to light.

Peplum

Flared fabric at the bottom of a shirt, jacket, dress, or coat that is gathered at the top to create a flounce.

Quarter

The part of a shoe that covers your heel.

Raglan

A sleeve style that uses one piece of fabric from neckline to wrists, leaving no shoulder seam.

Signature bag

A handbag that features the signature or initials of the designer as part of its main print.

Tuxedo

Formal evening wear for men, including a tailored jacket and trousers.

Unitard

A single garment that covers the entire body, including the arms and legs.

Vent

A slit in a piece of clothing meant to make it easier to move in.

Wrap dress

Considered one of the most flattering garments of all time, the wrap dress is a dress that is wrapped around you instead of pulled up from the ankles or down over the head. It was brought into fashion by Diane Von Furstenberg.

X-ray fabric

Sheer or see-through fabric made to show the body, creating the effect of an x-ray.

Yoke

The part of a shirt or dress that stretches over the shoulders in the front and back.

Zori

A type of Japanese sandal.

Taylor Wildrick

Endicott '20

Taylor Wildrick is a Marketing Communications major at Endicott College in Beverly, Ma. She loves teaching herself new hobbies that she'll probably never get around to finishing and reading marketing textbooks. She also loves all things fashion, beauty, and pop culture.
Eva Graef

Endicott