This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

2019 is going to be another great year for the young adult genre of film; if you like romance, adventure, or stories with heartwarming messages, check out this list of 5 upcoming movie adaptations about to hit the big screen.

Five Feet Apart (March 15, 2019)

Five Feet Apart is a love story about Stella and Will, two patients with cystic fibrosis who meet in a hospital. Reminiscent of tear-jerkers “The Fault in Our Stars” and “Everything, Everything,” you’ll definitely need to keep a tissue box for this one nearby.  The adaptation is based off Rachael Lippincott’s novel of the same name and stars Cole Sprouse & Haley Lu Richardson.

After (April 12th, 2019)

What started as a fan-fiction story on Wattpad by author Anna Todd has since turned into a modern YA love tale; the story follows freshman college student Tessa Young, who after meeting the mysterious Hardin Scott begins to question her personal values and desires.  This contemporary drama/thriller starring Josephine Langford and Hero Fiennes-Tiffin will leave fans on the edge of their seats in the best possible way.

The Sun is Also a Star (May 17, 2019)

Author Nicola Yoon of “Everything, Everything” is back again with a cute and relevant film about teenage love and immigration rights. Natasha, played by Yara Shahidi, is scheduled to be deported from New York back to Jamaica with her family when her world collides with Daniel (played by Charles Melton), the son of Korean immigrants.  They’ve got less than 24 hours to spend together – what could go wrong?

All the Bright Places (2019)

While there is no set release date for the film, IMDb has confirmed that it will be out sometime this year! This story – based off of Jennifer’s novel of the same title – stars actress Elle Fanning and Justice Smith, who play Violet Markey and Theodore Finch, respectively. Their characters struggle to come to terms with the inner demons that haunt them but appreciate the feelings of grief they share. The film rights have been bought by Netflix distribution, so keep your eye out for more news coming soon!  

P.S. I Still Love You (2019)

The long-awaited sequel to Jenny Han’s beloved romance story – “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” – is almost here! Lana Condor, who plays the quirky and adorable Lara Jean, took to social media in December to confirm that a sequel is officially in the works.  Fans will only have to wait a few short months before seeing the internet’s boyfriend, Peter Kavinsky, make a return to Netflix.

Allie Hastings

Endicott '22

Allie Hastings is an English/Creative Writing major at Endicott College in Beverly, MA. Check out her poetry & short story collection "Querencia" on Barnes & Noble and Amazon!
Endicott College HC Campus Correspondent, double majoring in International Business and Marketing!