This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Something I’ve always loved to do is talk about my best friend. My best friend is my literal soulmate and my forever person. Talking about my best friend and sharing our story is so exciting for me because I have so much love for her, and she is my person.

My best friend and I met when we were 3 years old. Well, I was 3, she was still 2. Our brothers (age 6 at the time) were playing soccer together for the town youth league and were best friends. Our moms started talking and became friends, then BAM, my best friend. We were then enrolled in the same preschool, where we proceeded to grow our friendship for 3 years. Then went off to kindergarten together, and went through school together for the next 12 years.

When we got to upper elementary school, I moved to a new house. Just in a different part of town. At my house, there is a little wood wall with different steps. One day, she felt like being a soldier and climbing them while saying “hut hut hut” with every footstep she took. When she got to the top, she stood in a power stance and yelled “huuuuuut” and to this very day, it is something I treasure because sometimes she goes back and does it again.

For about 5 or 6 years, our families would spend New Year’s together. New Year’s at our house consisted of good food, karaoke, and Mean Girls. I won’t get into that, but let’s just say that’s an ongoing joke now. 

My best friend and I share some sentimental songs. “Here Comes the Sun” by the Beatles is OUR SONG. Ever since we were old enough to talk, that was the first song we ever learned to sing on the karaoke machine. Whenever that song comes on in the car on the radio or anywhere in general, I always text her to remind her how much I love and miss her. 

Now we are both in college.  80 miles, an hour and thirty minutes, different states, different lives. For me, the first week was the hardest because it was the longest I had ever gone without seeing her. You go from seeing somebody nearly every day for the past 16 years to not at all. I kept a small picture frame she got me right next to my bed and would look at it whenever I felt like I needed a little push. We probably went about a month without talking to each other, and it was really hard for me because she was my everything. I wasn’t used to not having her around if I needed something or someone to talk to. Of course, she was only a text away, but a text isn’t the same as a hug or talking face-to-face. But I knew I could text her at any time of day, and she would respond. We are the type of people where anything can happen, and we’d pick up right where we left off. And that’s what we always did. And yeah it was really hard being away from her, but we both found our people and started off school strong.

Before my winter break, she was the one who picked me up from school and it made me so happy to have her see where I was and what I was doing. I brought her to the dining hall for the salad bar, then we walked down to the beach. My favorite picture I have of her is where she is taking a picture of the view. That car ride home was full of Red (Taylor’s Version) and Speak Now. We stopped at Nana and Papa’s house and I always love talking to them. They treat me like I’m one of theirs because mine aren’t around. They asked me about the school, my family, and just about everything. I’m so grateful that I can be part of their family.

My favorite part about my relationship with my best friend is how she always knows what I need to hear and the things I don’t want to hear. I was going through a tough time in November and December, and she was there to help me feel better and pick up all of the pieces that were left damaged and hurt. Words cannot express how much my best friend means to me. 

She is so real with me and tells me to be logical (and if you know me, most of the time I am ~not~ logical), and she helps me think through tough situations. Through it all, she has grown as a person and has helped me grow as a person. 

This is definitely one of my shorter articles and I could easily talk about my best friend for days, but the main point about her is that she helps me be a better me. Not many people are lucky enough to have a best friend like the one I have. She will never know how much appreciation I have for her. She will never know how much she means to me. And she will never know how much I love her.

I love you Best Friend

xoxo,

Sammie

Taylor Swift may or may not be my personality trait