This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

If you ever run into me on campus I can guarantee you that among the clutter of my floral north face backpack, there is at least one children’s coloring book in there.

I started this ritual after winter break when the anxiety of returning to school and starting a new semester came upon me. I was having a really hard time mentally and socially and I managed to acquire a Spongebob Squarepants coloring book from one of my friends. This nostalgic children’s coloring book was one of the last things I had ever thought I would have owned as a 19 year old girl enrolled in college, but I began using it almost immediately. I am unsure why this was such a fun experience for me, but I genuinely think it was because I had gone so long without coloring. I had forgot how satisfying it was to outline the characters with colored pencil and shade them in, it is literally so calming. After I had finished my first coloring session (a picture of Patrick Star in a superhero costume fyi) I forgot about it for a bit and just threw it in my bag.

This was until one day while I was waiting for my English class to start and I noticed another girl in the class coloring in her very own kitten themed coloring book. I was instantly reminded of my Spongebob book and started another coloring session. As my professor came in I planned to put it away until he came up to me and said “Wow. That’s one cool coloring book.” This sort of started a chain reaction amongst my English class and now a record number of students are bringing their very own coloring books to class! We are informally known as the coloring crew by our professor, and because of this silly little ritual we do, my English class has become one of my favorite parts of my week.

Although it may sound odd to hear about a group of nearly 20 year old students coloring in a college level course, my professor has actually expressed his admiration for it and has shared statistics on how coloring can actually improve focus levels.

Adult coloring books can also improve your focus level. Coloring activates your frontal lobe, which means that your brain is organizing and problem-solving. Regular coloring sessions allow you to relax from the day and focus on one thing.

© 2020 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved

Although this quote discusses adult coloring books, I can confirm that even using children’s coloring books helps to relax and unwind. There is also something very funny to me about owning a coloring book, especially a children’s character themed one. I have yet to receive judgement for it though and instead when my friends see me coloring they usually ask for a page, which I of course give them.

Since this has started I have expanded my collection to a Disney Princess coloring book as well! And I have also noticed my friend owns a Blue’s Clues Coloring book which she uses from time to time. If you are ever stressed out or just want to relax without being on technology, I highly recommend that you get one they are relatively cheap and are completely worth it. If you ever see me on campus I would be more than happy to lend you a page or two.

Have a great day and happy coloring!

HCXO,

Jenna <3

Jenna Torgersen

Endicott '25

Hey! I’m Jenna (she/her) I am the interim secretary for HerCampus Endicott! I love writing articles for the website and I am a lover of sushi, harry styles, taylor swift and squishmallows!