Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

What Love on Tour Meant to Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

I recently had the opportunity to see Harry Styles live and to say it was probably one of the best nights of my life is an understatement. The whole experience felt so surreal to me, like a fever dream. But I soaked up every single moment of it. 

Even before seeing him in concert, I already knew that he’s an extremely captivating performer and was born for the stage. His ability to create such a positive environment almost brought tears to my eyes. There was something so beautiful about seeing everyone complimenting each other and connecting with each other during his performance. Even though all these people were strangers, I felt so connected to each and every one of them. For the time he was on that stage, it seemed as if nothing else in the world mattered and I quite literally “danced my worries away.” He kept all of us engaged the whole time by cracking jokes, talking to us, and encouraging us to dance and sing along. You felt as if you’ve known him your whole life from the way he presented himself on stage. I felt such a genuine connection to him and my heart was so full of love, admiration, pride, and respect. 

To be in the presence of someone who’s helped me through many of the good and the bad experiences of my life was the most heartwarming and gratifying experience of all. I have always considered Harry to be one of my biggest role models, as he constantly inspires me to be a better person and helped me on my own journey to loving myself. Seeing how much he’s grown and developed since being in One Direction makes me so proud and seeing him be unapologetically himself truly gives others permission to do the same. He constantly encourages people to be themselves and illustrates it as one of the most freeing things a person can experience, regardless of what others will think about you. Like Harry himself said, “If you’re happy doing what you’re doing, nobody can tell you that you’re not successful.” He’s also shown me that being vulnerable is being human and his song “Fine Line” is the perfect encapsulation of this. There is a “fine line” between constant happiness and constant sadness. Sometimes, life will make you feel like you’re on top of the world and other times, you will feel like you’ve hit rock bottom. I personally went through a really tough time at the beginning of the year and often put myself down for struggling with my mental health, as well as thinking that I would never be happy again. But, in the end, like he sings in the song, “we’ll be alright.” Hearing those words comforted me then and continues to serve as a constant reminder that sometimes it’s okay to not be okay and it’s perfectly alright to be vulnerable. And so, I don’t even have the words to describe how much hearing that song live meant to me. I could see how much it meant to other people as well, as I’m sure many people have had similar experiences with the song. It really was incredible to see how much of an impact one person is able to have on so many people. After all, Harry really is so special and an incredibly inspiring individual. I can honestly hope to be half the person he is one day.

So in case you’re wondering what I’ll be doing for the next month or so, you can find me sitting in my room watching all the concert videos on repeat for hours and hours, because a part of me is still in disbelief that I was actually there. However, I hope everyone can one day experience seeing your favorite singer in concert and how gratifying an experience that can be, whether it is Harry Styles or not. But I do recommend that everyone give his music a listen if you haven’t already, because it is nothing short of incredible, just like him.

Amrita Kumar

Endicott '25

Hi, I'm Amrita and I'm a Digital Journalism major at Endicott! As well as writing for Her Campus, I love music, art, journaling, watching Netflix, baking, and going on walks!