Style > Beauty

Wait, I Have Curly Hair? Discovering My Best Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

For as long as I can remember, people were coming up to me, caressing my hair, and telling me how beautiful and thick it was. To me, it was unruly, frizzy, poofy, and just all around annoying. For most of my elementary years, I kept it in a low ponytail and once middle school hit, I was sizzling it every other day with a straightening iron. It was once college started to loom that I realised my hair was fried and dry. After hearing my mom’s hair horror story – we have the same hair type – I knew something needed to change. Hence began my hair journey.

Just by washing my hair, I realised my natural hair was wavy. I took to the internet and discovered that for people with wavy/curly hair, the shampoo and conditioner is important. Using specific shampoos and conditioners that are meant for your hair type makes a huge different. I personally loved Amika Hydrorush Shampoo and Conditioner as it helps my dry hair look and feel soft and moisturized. I also found Carol’s Daughter Wash Day Delight was great for a reset wash, or those days when you wake up and just feel “ugh”.

I also learned that it’s important to apply products after washing so the curl pattern can be maintained and your hair can feel soft and keep in that moisture. I took to TikTok and through tons of customer reviews and step by step tutorials, I found As I Am leave-in-conditioner and CURL Creme by Burle. They can both be found at Target and don’t break the bank!

My number one tip I’d have to give to any curly hair girls out there – READ INGREDIENTS!! My first wave of curly hair products all contain keratin and protein. Although these properties are great, by layering multiple products containing these ingredients such as shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner, curl cream, and gel, your hair can enter protein overload. This overload weakens your hair and can cause excessive shedding, stringy hair, and dry texture. My hair went through it but through research and reading ingredients, I was able to help my hair get back to top health!

Overall, I hope these tips helped. It’s taken me years to learn this stuff so hopefully this quick read will save your time and hair! Happy curly journey!

Lucy Kratman

Endicott '26

Hi everyone! My name is Lucy and I'm a sophomore Marketing/Communications major at Endicott! I love everything british - Harry Styles included. Enjoy my articles!!