Vegans Vs. Meat Eaters and Jessica Simpson in Between

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Jessica Simpson’s photographed in a graphic t-shirt from 2008 leaving LAX captures her confidence for this rare taste.

It has been more than a decade since this t-shirt grabbed public attention and exploded controversy around the celebrity figure. Poor Jessica was trying to make a public burn against Carrie Underwood, recent ex to Simpsons’s old boyfriend at the time Tony Romo, yet critics and avid animal lovers could not see past this petty joke referenced on her t-shirt “Real Girls Eat Meat.” People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) enthusiasts began to blog about the shirt concerning the attitude of Simpson being a public figure. One wrote:

“For a gal who’s best known for her less-than-stellar brains (Chicken of the Sea, anyone?) and her ability to proportionately fill out daisy dukes, I’m gonna go on record saying that if anyone had to wear a ridiculous shirt like this, I’m glad it was Jessica — as people are more likely to follow the opposite of her lead,”

— ouch.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-mtblog-2008-06-the_photo_speaks_for_itself-story.html

I, of course, had to investigate on the grounds of meat-eaters vs. plant-based consumers. Within 24 hours of my poll, “Who’s a vegan in 2020?” I received 25 responses; six votes for “Greens for the win”, and 19 votes for “No I need iron.” Interestingly enough, the responses from my followers, who are generally close-ties and mutuals, are not far off from what I had expected. Those few trying to better their overall health favored greens to iron needs, and those who can’t wean off meat continue back big food corporations and industries.

I, a frequent meat-eater/devourer, am in the majority seen in my poll. Yet large-scale studies are finding a higher significance of veganism practices across the country within the past 10 years. Those PETA bloggers might have prophesized the inclination of vegetarian and vegan lifestyles, but it has no reflection on Simpson and her life choices.

Vegconomist, the vegan business magazine, reveals Ipsos Retail Performance 2020 study that Veganism is up by 300% in the US With 9.7 Million Americans Now Plant-Based. Compare that to a decade prior and the numbers of plant-based eaters covered around a quarter of a million people. Now there are upwards of 9.7 million active plant-based eaters across the United States.

Plant-based products rising in popularity has more to do with finding solutions to save the planet from our actions of pinnacle ideation, than the comedic intentions of Simpsons’ t-shirt. The way we raise, cook, and eat meat has exponentially changed since our ancestors, yet we can all agree on its necessity for sustenance, performance activity, and overall growth.

PETA’s ridicule over Simpson doesn’t’ stop there. Alice Short for the LA Times cites another blog post that was created listing “the top five reasons that only stupid girls brag about eating meat.” I vow to correct this more kindly;
1. Meat increases the risk of breast cancer.

Revise that to: —- Processed and unmoderated high-sugar inflammatory’ diets have considerable links to breast cancer.

2. Real girls don’t support animal abuse.

Revise that to: —- Real girls know the distinction between animal abuse and animal cruelty for profit.

3. The meat industry is destroying the Earth.

Revise that to: —- The overproduction of meat and fishing industries are hurting the earth at a more exponential rate than before.

4. Meat will make you fat.

Revise that to: —- the overconsumption of meat and the absence of physical exercises will not allow for proper caloric restoration and allocation

5. Eating meat steals food from starving kids.

Revise that to:—- Proper handing of meat products and manageable eating habits can reduce wasteful food behaviors.

This poll, at first, was for fun and my genuine curiosity. However, a year later I uncovered more than 25 responses. Those who voted for greens have stayed true to their word, and that devotion has led to plant-based solutions becoming mainstream. And those who voted against walk a fine line between unhealthy consumer behavior and just not seeming to care at all.

How I see it, eat what you want. Just not at Chick-fil-A. # Real Girls Don’t Eat Chick-fil-A.

Adult Wants to be a part of everything