belly, conrad, and jeremiah in the summer i turned pretty season 2
Erika Doss/Prime Video

“The Summer I Turned Pretty” Is Kind of Insufferable: What team are you on?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

When the book-to-television adaptation of Jenny Han’s “The Summer I Turned Pretty” hit Amazon Prime, people were instantly hooked. The classic love triangle – the two boys being brothers even more gasp-worthy – brings a good amount of drama and romance, but to many, it’s a tad much.

When I got on the TSITP train pretty late, my sister told me I would love the show for its romance, eye candy, and drama. And while I enjoyed the show, I found way too many flaws. Here’s a little list of things that highlights my main grievances:

1. Jeremiah is WEIRD (#teamconrad). I found Jeremiah creepy and jealous of someone that wasn’t even his. He seems to be set on who he thinks Belly should be, rather than who she is. Also, the man has said multiple times that he knows Belly will always love Conrad but is constantly getting in the way or pulling the “me or him” ultimatum. It’s not hard to see that the two families’ relationships are more complicated than that, so I found myself cringing more than once. 
  2. Belly needs to grow up. I was able to give our heroine a bit of grace in the first season because if any 15-year-old girl had two cute guys chasing after her, I could see being a bit indecisive. But in season two (spoilers!), she’s older and has seen what happens when she messes with people – they ignore her and ice her out. She continues to do this and keeps going back and forth between the brothers – if she wants to maintain a civil relationship with them, she has to make a solid decision. I guess she did with Jeremiah at the end of season two but to my fellow book readers…we will see how that goes. 
  3. Conrad needs therapy. I don’t think I need to explain this one.
  4. Steven and Taylor. Now before I get my head taken off, I love these two as a couple – hello, the best friends brother?? Yes. However, it was so weird how Steven kept stepping over boundaries when Taylor was dating someone else. If a man ever grabbed my phone while I was Facetiming my boyfriend, I’d cut him. 
  5. Laurel and Cleveland? What happened!! I need an explanation, they were so cute!

Can’t wait for season 3!

Lucy Kratman

Endicott '26

Hi everyone! My name is Lucy and I'm a sophomore Marketing/Communications major at Endicott! I love everything british - Harry Styles included. Enjoy my articles!!