This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Every day I spend hours on different social media platforms. I scroll through Pinterest, Instagram, and watch Tik Toks of influencers’ wardrobes. I’d give anything to go on a huge shopping spree to revamp my style. If you’re like me, and you often think you need to be rich to have cute outfits, don’t fret, because I have outlined 5 simple steps so that you can look badass on a budget.

Set a Budget

The easiest way to keep your wardrobe low-cost is to stay within a budget. Analyze your savings and come up with a reasonable amount to spend on nonessentials. For example, you may limit yourself to spending $25 a month on clothes, or 8% of your weekly paychecks. If budgets aren’t really your thing, you could try a reward system. A simple way to do this would be to reward yourself for working and making money. You could allow yourself to buy one piece of clothing for every x amount of shifts worked or go online shopping every time you deposit $1,000 into your savings account.

Make a Vision Board

Before buying anything, it’s smart to lay out what you want your style to represent. Look through pictures online and keep a record of themes or recurring pieces you like. I like to make Pinterest boards so that I can see all my favorite outfits in one place. You can even make your own vision board by compiling pictures into a collage on your phone or a platform like Google slides. Try to stick to looks you’d actually wear and not just keep in your closet for “a special occasion”. Remember, the point of this is to stay within budget, so you want to get your money’s worth for whatever you end up buying.

Clean Out Your Closet

Whether you want to start from scratch or just see what you have, you should take a peek into your closet before adding anything to it. Make three piles labeled sell, donate, and keep. Anything that doesn’t fit anymore or you don’t wear enough should be removed from your wardrobe. Don’t throw your clothes away though. Sell pieces that are in great condition so that you can save up to buy new ones! Some ways to do this are through apps like Poshmark and Depop. Donate the rest to a local charity or thrift store. Only keep the clothes that you know you will wear and love.

Want Vs. Need

Now that you’ve cleaned out your closet, it’s time to make a plan for what you are going to buy. It is important to decipher between the things you want and the things you need. Is there anything you donated that you need to replace like an old pair of jeans or sneakers that don’t fit anymore? Pieces like these are staples in a wardrobe and would be considered a need. On the other hand, bags, scarves, and earrings may fall into the “want” category as they are not as necessary. The reason why this step is important is so that you can spend more on necessities instead of wasting your budget on things you won’t get as much use out of. Also, it is typically harder to put together cute outfits when you only have statement pieces instead of basics. Compare your remaining wardrobe to the vision board you made in step two. What should you buy to meet your style goals? What is your closet currently missing?

Get In Loser, We’re Going Shopping

It’s the moment you’ve all been waiting for…we get to buy stuff now! I know, the anticipation is killing you, but before I let you go off on your own I still have a few words of wisdom. Be careful when buying trendy pieces. While super cool now, the trend can fade and you’re left with something you’ll never wear again (and something you’ve just wasted money on). Try to buy basics that you can accessorize with like simple tees and solid tanks. Additionally, think about quality. I myself am guilty of buying fast fashion because of how affordable it is, but it would be helpful to buy better quality pieces. Though slightly more expensive, they will last longer and you won’t need to replace them as often, saving you money in the long run.

Okay, I think you’re ready. I wish you all the best in your fashion endeavors and I hope this article has taught you how to be a badass on a budget. Stay stylish girl.

Alyssa Abramo

Endicott '25

A freshman marketing major who loves the outdoors, fashion, and good music! She loves to stay active with things like hiking and skiing and one day wants to travel the world. Alyssa is interested in social media management and is pursuing a business degree at Endicott College.