Still Trying To Hold On To That Summer Feeling? Here’s Some Book Rec’s For You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Now that school is back in session, I for one am still trying to hold on to that summer feeling, especially while being somewhere where the weather is still warm. While it may be hard to find time to read with classes starting up again, I promise you these book recommendations are worth your time!

Yerba Buena by Nina Lacour ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This is the story of two girls who miraculously meet one another. Sara, who has run away from home after immense loss and pain, is now one of the most sought-out bartenders in LA. Emilie, stuck in the same pattern, becomes a florist for one of LA’s most popular restaurants called Yerba Buena. When Sara and Emilie meet, they find that their love may or may not be stronger than their traumatic pasts.

I did enjoy this book a lot. I found it easy to read and the plot was so good. The way the girls met and came together was also very interesting to read about. If you like books with two different points of view, this one is for you.

Good Girl Complex by Elle Kennedy ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Set in and around the campus of Garnet College, Mackenzie, or Mac, has done everything she is told to do, never once doing what she wants. That is until she meets Cooper Hartley. Cooper tests her in a way no one, even her ex-boyfriend, has. Mackenzie has come from a wealthy family where every decision has been made for her as opposed to Cooper, who comes from a hard working class family. The story of these two is one similar to Romeo and Juliet.

I LOVED this book! I read it so quickly, as I constantly had to know what happened next! I found the two main characters’ dynamic to be super interesting and I liked how the book switches point of views every few chapters. The development of not only Mac and Cooper’s relationship, but also of their personal selves, supports why I definitely recommend reading this book.

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Haan ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This feels like the ultimate summer read. Personally, I read this on my trip to Cape Cod this summer and the vibes were perfect. This is the story of Belly and her two childhood best friends, Conrad and Jeremiah, who live at Cousins Beach together during the summer months. This is a love story mixed with moments of both comedy and heartbreak.

I really liked this one but found it to be very predictable. I understand that’s kind of what you get with this kind of book, but I definitely am happy I read it anyways. I think this book is a staple for every rom-com reader.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

This is probably the least summery of these books but I still had to include it. Set in both 1950s Hollywood and present day, celebrity Evelyn Hugo is about to tell her story to Monique, who is a writer for a famous New York City publication. The reader follows Evelyn through her life story, learning about her time in the spotlight and how she got to be where she is now.

My little blurb does this book no justice. This is an amazing story of a complicated woman just trying to make it by while being in the forefront of Hollywood life. The representation in this book is amazing and the historical accuracy is spot-on. This is a definite read for everyone!

I Kissed Shara Wheeler by Casey McQuiston ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Do you remember your summer after senior year? Yeah, this book makes you think of that. Putting together mystery and romance, McQuiston has succeeded again with the story of this book. This book details main character Chloe Green vs. Shara Wheeler to see who is the best at their school. Soon after some things go down, Shara disappears. I don’t want to say too much, but it gets really good and mind boggling.

I gave this one 5 stars, granted I give all of McQuiston’s books 5 stars. Yet, this book is still absolutely amazing, as it is possibly one of her best in my opinion. However, Red White and Royal Blue will always hold a special place in my heart.

One Italian Summer by Rebecca Serle ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This is the story of a mom and daughter, or really just the daughter. Katy just lost her mother and best friend just before their big two week trip to Positano, Italy. Things take a turn when Katy decides to go on this trip alone and suddenly, her mother Carol appears to look as she had been living there the whole time. This is the story of how Katy becomes even closer to her mother even once she has passed.

Rebecca Serle really had me balling my eyes out. This sweet and heartfelt story was amazing and such a good follow up to her bestseller In Five Years. Before reading One Italian Summer, I was already a fan of Serle’s other books, such as the previously mentioned In Five Years, as well as The Dinner List, so I was so excited to read this one! This is definitely a good read for those whose best friend is their mom, or just if you want a good heartfelt mother-daughter novel.

Keep an eye out for more of my articles on all of my favorite reads this year!

Hi! I'm Alexandra but everyone calls me Lexi! I'm a psychology major with a minor in creative art therapy! I am this years Senior Editor for HC Endicott and I could not be more excited! I am a huge reader (my articles show that lol) and lover of Harry Styles and all things music! Enjoy!